66 replies to this topic

#51 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 12:39 PM

Nicholas, you're beginning to realise the downside of proximity to London. There's so much on offer that it's easy to just see loads of what you already know you like, whereas elsewhere it's more natural to see a very wide range of theatre and other performance, and so broaden your theatre horizons.

If Kenneth Branagh were to become NT Director, or (more likely) an Associate Director or some new post in between these two, it wouldn't surprise me if he were to establish a touring network similar to what you suggest for the Michael Grandage Company.

Button badge suggestion for Manchester International Festival: i've been MIFfed

#52 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 30 June 2013 - 02:53 PM

Tickets may well be expensive, but they sold out in record 9 minutes of going on sale, which if you have an elitist/accountants view on theatre would suggest they were under-priced.

Sadly, I am not going as I could not justify spending that much on one ticket (even if I had managed to fight my way through the brief scramble for tickets).
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#53 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:33 PM

View PostIan, on 30 June 2013 - 02:53 PM, said:

Tickets may well be expensive, but they sold out in record 9 minutes of going on sale, which if you have an elitist/accountants view on theatre would suggest they were under-priced.

Sadly, I am not going as I could not justify spending that much on one ticket (even if I had managed to fight my way through the brief scramble for tickets).
  How much were they?

#54 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 03:37 PM

View PostNicholas, on 30 June 2013 - 10:57 AM, said:

Actually something I’ve found quite exciting over the last couple of years is how much unmissable theatre seems to be away from London, with things like this and lots of Sheffield’s productions and whatnot, even though I’ve then had to miss the unmissable.  I’ve always been close to London so I’ve been spoilt, and especially now friends are in all corners of the country I realise how unfair the distribution of top quality shows (and things like star wattage and whatnot) is.  It's exciting to see some brilliant productions for people for whom London's a real slog to get to.  What I’ve realised is, with lots of talk about young people getting into theatre and all that, the biggest factor for me getting into it is geography.  For my money, the most daring and adventurous thing Grandage could do with his company is the same set of shows (or the same combination of modern texts, new plays and classics) with the same set of stars (or greats and lovely young people) but in Norfolk or Birmingham or Devon or somewhere like that.  But I am miffed that I can't see Branagh's Macbeth or Willem Dafoe.

I make a point of grumbling about the plays I can't see outside London (Sheffield, Manchester, even Dundee with Let The Right One In) because I think it's the best thing that can happen to theatre. Theatre needs to be local, and audiences - especially outside London -  should have a feeling it belongs to them, and they are not just a satellite of the capital. When I went to Sheffield to see My Fair Lady, and was telling the waitress at the restaurant, there was an obvious pride on how briliant it was and that people were coming from London to see it.

#55 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:23 PM

View Postarmadillo, on 30 June 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

How much were they?

£65 I think.

#56 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3754 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

View PostPoly, on 30 June 2013 - 03:37 PM, said:

even Dundee with Let The Right One In

There's rumour (from Baz... make of that what you will) that this'll transfer to the Royal Court (not that surprising, given that John Tiffany has just been made Associate Director there, and Vicky Featherstone has just left NTS, who is co-producing this). I hope so, as I'd love to see it. But I'm also v pleased that there's a theatrical hit north of Glasgow and Edinburgh, and the NTS (who don't get the coverage they deserve) have yet another success.

#57 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:43 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 30 June 2013 - 04:32 PM, said:

There's rumour (from Baz... make of that what you will) that this'll transfer to the Royal Court (not that surprising, given that John Tiffany has just been made Associate Director there, and Vicky Featherstone has just left NTS, who is co-producing this). I hope so, as I'd love to see it. But I'm also v pleased that there's a theatrical hit north of Glasgow and Edinburgh, and the NTS (who don't get the coverage they deserve) have yet another success.

I hope so, the film's great. It might seem like a strange one to adapt but it's very much a chamber piece and, with Tiffany, I'm sure he's found a way to make it into its own piece of theatre.

#58 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 05:58 PM

Baz reported rumours of Royal Court "showing an interest in giving it a run, and then it might hit the West End." So, not a certainty, even in Baz-o-Vision. Dominic Cooke also kicked off his first Downstairs season with a National Theatre of Scotland transfer, The Wonderful World of Dissocia, and Royal Court has already programmed NTS's The Strange Undoing of Prudencia Hart for its Theatre Local season this month. I guess it makes sense for Royal Court to bring in these readymade productions, to prepare its audience for a shift in the mix of what it will produce itself in future.

Let the Right One In sounds to me to be a typical transfer to Lyric Hammersmith, but that theatre's not available this year due to redevelopment.

#59 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:05 PM

I can wholeheartedly recommend Strange Undoing of Prudencia Hart, lovely music too (you got free whisky in Edinburgh, not sure if that's a feature here). Actually, with that and Let the Right One In, NTS is doing a very nice line in supernatural theatre.

#60 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

Not to overlook a third NTS supernatural show, on Broadway now, Alan Cumming in a reimagined Macbeth, also directed by John Tiffany.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users