61 replies to this topic

#1 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 11:29 AM

Anyone know what team of directors Greg Doran is assembling for his first season ? The only name we know so far is Michael Boyd (with this Queen Lear effort by C.A.Duffy) which is hardly inspiring.  I guess Rupert Goold will be nowhere to be seen given his rumoured workload in 2013/14 (below) - although he is supposed to be an associate they haven't got much value out of him and he, in turn, seems to prefer to work anywhere except there - a pity because in box office terms he is a bigger draw than many of their other directors.  

http://www.londonthe...ews/rumours.htm

#2 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

No. I think he's been reported as first focusing on building a team of associates who are likely to have specific responsibilities. As you know, so far only Erica Whyman has been appointed, to the new post of Deputy Artistic Director, as the lead for new work and partnerships with other collaborators. His first season is next "Winter", from Oct 2013 to Mar 2014, and RSC winter programmes usually consist of a number of smaller projects rather than "big statement" ensemble programmes, so I don't suppose the choice of those directors need have much longterm significance. His first "Summer" season probably won't be announced for nine months, so there's plenty of time to line up a permanent team before selecting those plays, directors and projects.

This is pure speculation on my part, but Rupert Goold as AD at Northampton and at Headlong could and can nurture associate directors and also develop his own highly individual productions. He's been much more constrained at the RSC by their ongoing fixation with Shakespeare and their recent severely limited output during the Transformation period and even now still lacking The Other Place.

#3 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:33 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 09 November 2012 - 03:20 PM, said:

This is pure speculation on my part, but Rupert Goold as AD at Northampton and at Headlong could and can nurture associate directors and also develop his own highly individual productions. He's been much more constrained at the RSC by their ongoing fixation with Shakespeare and their recent severely limited output during the Transformation period and even now still lacking The Other Place.

Goold is intriguing. Recently it was reported "Rupert Goold will no longer direct the English National Opera’s Wozzeck next spring", again because of unexpected scheduling conflicts with his first film, the same reason he gave for withdrawing from the RSC Troilus and Cressida production this Spring (see link below). Must be one heck of a film.  I imagine antics like this will be irritating and burning a lot of bridges with the people who run these places. Just looking at the things he does direct and the things he pulls out of it looks to me like money is very important to him. Well, why not I suppose. He must have been pretty annoyed when his last RSC production (Merchant) didn't transfer to London when they specifcially told him it had to be directed in a way to accommodate a London transfer - when he submitted and then withdrew his application to take over from Boyd I wondered if he'd ever direct for them again - I guess the answer is "no".

http://thewoostergro...mooth-operator/

#4 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 03:46 PM

If his RSC The Merchant of Venice had transferred to London, wouldn't it have been as part of a subsidised RSC season and so not paying commercial creative fees? The last three Headlong Shakespeares have been directed by rising associates Simon Godwin (from Northampton), Natalie Abrahami and Robert Icke (from Headlong). I know no one here agrees with me but I still don't see why Headlong couldn't collaborate with the RSC to produce productions which could tour, like Kneehigh have done in the Michael Boyd era.

#5 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 07:08 PM

What do you make of the Wooster Group's little film ? Quite amusing I thought, given the platitudes they were obliged to spout when he pulled out.

#6 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

What a ghastly voice he has, unless that's the one he assumes to assert his authority.

#7 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 10 November 2012 - 12:13 AM, said:

What a ghastly voice he has, unless that's the one he assumes to assert his authority.

Yes, he comes out of that quite badly (which was the intention of course) commenting on what Hollywood is like as if he is an insider rather than just one of hundreds of wannabe film directors who they just pick up and discard according to whim.

#8 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5139 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:57 AM

The RSC was awful. No doubt that is why it never reached London.

#9 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

View PostLynette, on 11 November 2012 - 11:57 AM, said:

The RSC was awful. No doubt that is why it never reached London.

Do you mean The Merchant of Venice? If so, you hold a minority view.

#10 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5139 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

How funny - yes that is what I meant. Serves me right for using ipad on my lap..all wobbly. I am aware of other people's views on the Elvis Merchant. I think we had a thread on it. But I also think I know a turkey when I see one and probably Patrick Stewart does too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users