#41 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

View Postxanderl, on 27 November 2012 - 02:51 PM, said:

I saw it on a Saturday evening with a very sparse audience. Merry Wives, on the other hand, was packed

I can imagine - they should just stage a couple of popular Shakespeares during the winter (except Christmas).

#42 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

I'm seeing both over the Xmas holiday period. What's wrong with putting on a sure fire and a serious play over this time? My quarrel with Boyd was that he put on his Russian beloveds over the big summer tourist season. At one point, observed by myself, he had  a town heaving with adolescent groups and Americans and there was no Shakespeare  to be seen.  

This is not to to say the RSC should always be playing Twelfth Night! No, a good mix but timing is crucial as is the choice of play. If it's good, or looks like it might be good,  they ..that is..I will go.

#43 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2077 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:43 PM

I agree, the combination for crowd pleasers with more left field choices makes sense. Zhao is great, hope to see Boris soon, floods permitting
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#44 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:57 PM

Anyone know if the theatre at Stratford has escaped flooding this time. The floods usually do affect Stratford.

#45 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:54 PM

Rising yesterday!

http://www.stratford...-on-monday.html

#46 Beth

Beth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:56 PM

The theatre was fine today - the river had spilled its banks, and you'd get your feet wet if you wanted to sit on some of the benches near the theatre, but the water level is still well below the theatre and the nearby roads.  Lots of sandbags about though.

Hope you get to see Boris Godunov, xanderl.  Thought it was an excellent production, well paced, with good performances all round.

#47 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:14 PM

View PostLynette, on 27 November 2012 - 05:34 PM, said:

I'm seeing both over the Xmas holiday period. What's wrong with putting on a sure fire and a serious play over this time?

Because not enough people go to see the "serious" play in Stratford.

#48 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

Last year, Written on the Heart sold out in the Swan in this same November to January period when it was paired with Measure for Measure so that proves an audience can be attracted. Saturday nights are unrepresentative of the rest of the week in Stratford because they tend to be booked more by visitors who can attend then without interrupting their week. When I lived locally to Stratford I avoided Saturday nights because of the significant ticket premium. When plays aren't heavily booked up in advance, people feel safe to delay their booking so actual attendances may well turn out higher than you might predict now from looking at currently available seats. As Epicoene says, the winter audience will usually have fewer visitors because casual tourists aren't around but remember that local audiences can attend more flexibly, because they don't have to plan transport or accommodation or time off work, so it makes sense to churn out e-mails - they should get some response.

I agree that the main house RST winter policy of a family show and a popular Shakespeare is a good one because it's more attractive to a general audience and so it serves the local audience well.

#49 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5140 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:04 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 28 November 2012 - 01:14 PM, said:

Because not enough people go to see the "serious" play in Stratford.
I'll let you know if the audiences are full. I can't remember a show that had loads of empty seats at any time at Stratford. Well, not for the first few shows. When word gets round of course......she whispers Tamar's Revenge.......

#50 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1238 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

View PostLynette, on 28 November 2012 - 04:04 PM, said:

I'll let you know if the audiences are full. I can't remember a show that had loads of empty seats at any time at Stratford.

I can. I've been there in the winter season when the RST audience was very sparse even for a Shakespeare.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users