Jump to content


- - - - -

Rsc New Team - Same As The Old Team ?


  • Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 musicals fan

musicals fan

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

I woulld like to repeat my initial complaint about the RSC.
This company is not intended to be a local theatre for the residents of the Midlands plus the tourists who go to Stratford.  It receives a substantial additonal subsidy from UK taxpayers to perform in other venues around the UK, and made the appalling decision some years ago to give up the Barbican - which gave it a subsidised venue in London and a regular audience.  I recall that they used to visit Newcastle on a regular basis and also, I think, Plymouth.
Now the population of the UK who pay (via subsidy) for this Company are not getting what they pay for.
I not too that they still manage to tour the USA every year.

#52 Epicoene

Epicoene

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

View Postmusicals fan, on 29 November 2012 - 09:06 AM, said:

Now the population of the UK who pay (via subsidy) for this Company are not getting what they pay for.
I not too that they still manage to tour the USA every year.

There have been several productions in fairly recent years which have only played in Stratford and the USA: I can recall the Greg Doran "Coriolanus" and the Dominic Cooke "Winters Tale" and "Pericles" but there are probably others. This reinforces your point.

It was worrying that it was reported that Rupert Goold withdrew his application to be the new Artistic Director when they told him it was a requirement he had to live in Stratford (even though Michael Boyd didn't). It seems they are planning to be even more Stratford-centric than ever.

#53 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

    Dis Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 29 November 2012 - 12:06 PM

I understand that people may be personally peeved if a British production plays outside the UK and not in their own backyard but the costs of touring to the USA are borne by the USA. The USA touring isn't a substitute for UK touring. The UK doesn't pay for USA touring.

It would be wasteful of resources if the Stratford theatres didn't operate throughout the year although I agree that the programme must be sustainable, with sufficient attendances.

UK touring has increased over the last couple of years. A permanent solution for regular London seasons is being actively sought. But the company is based in Stratford and has built and redeveloped its own theatres there to its highly individual specifications so it's hardly a surprise that it presents most performances there.

#54 David J

David J

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:14 PM

Just back from Boris Gudonov. Less than half the theatre was full, though the play was very good.
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#55 David J

David J

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

Merry Wives was full as expected, a great production

The Orphan of Zhao was a brilliant production, and the theatre was three-quarters full. A wonderful start for Doran as Artistic Director
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#56 xanderl

xanderl

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:50 AM

Good to hear Orphan is selling better than when I saw it
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#57 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:19 PM

View Postmusicals fan, on 29 November 2012 - 09:06 AM, said:

I woulld like to repeat my initial complaint about the RSC.
This company is not intended to be a local theatre for the residents of the Midlands plus the tourists who go to Stratford.  It receives a substantial additonal subsidy from UK taxpayers to perform in other venues around the UK, and made the appalling decision some years ago to give up the Barbican - which gave it a subsidised venue in London and a regular audience.  I recall that they used to visit Newcastle on a regular basis and also, I think, Plymouth.
Now the population of the UK who pay (via subsidy) for this Company are not getting what they pay for.
I not too that they still manage to tour the USA every year.

So does the NT, however that never tours the UK aside from small scale jobs (War Horse exempt, though that is not being tax-payer funded).

The RSC have staged six productions in London this year, in addition to T&C (Shipwreck Trilogy, Written on the Heart, Julius Caesar, Much Ado About Nothing). They've also taken at least one (I think two, JC and MAAN) on tour too.

The NT, to their credit, do a hell of a lot in their London base and fund NT Connections (counter point: RSC have recently done "Open Stages", which opened up a lot of opportunities for amateur actors the nation over).

The RSC manage to tour the USA every year?

#58 Epicoene

Epicoene

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:28 AM

View PostDanielWhit, on 02 December 2012 - 11:19 PM, said:

The RSC manage to tour the USA every year?

RSC productions have played in the USA every year for as long as I can remember. However understandably they don't publicise this fact much in UK because people might complain that they are funding productions like the Greg Doran "Coriolanus" which have short runs in Stratford and then go to USA. There was one year they limited the Newcastle transfers because they were shipping the set to USA.

#59 xanderl

xanderl

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:48 AM

View PostDanielWhit, on 02 December 2012 - 11:19 PM, said:


The RSC have staged six productions in London this year, in addition to T&C (Shipwreck Trilogy, Written on the Heart, Julius Caesar, Much Ado About Nothing). They've also taken at least one (I think two, JC and MAAN) on tour too.


You missed one - "Two Roses for Richard III" so they've done seven productions in London.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#60 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

    Dis Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts
  • Gender:Not Telling

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

View Postxanderl, on 03 December 2012 - 07:48 AM, said:

You missed one - "Two Roses for Richard III" so they've done seven productions in London.
That wasn't an RSC production but commissioned by them from another company for their World Shakespeare Festival. Similarly, Romeo and Juliet in Baghdad and Forests also played in London and several WSF productions played in Edinburgh and Newcastle. A further three associated British WSF productions originated in Brighton and the Vale of Glamorgan, The Rest is Silence, Coriolan/us and Y Storm.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users