11 replies to this topic

#1 Polly1

Polly1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:45 PM

I have been asked by a friend to book tickets for the Globe later this year but, never having been before, would like some advice from the knowledgeable people on this forum as to the 'best' places to sit. I have studied the very good website and I know it depends on personal preference but any information or hints from people who've been would be gratefully received. Thanks.

#2 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 12:56 PM

Somewhere at the back of the lower level - don't make the mistake 0f sitting in the front row bordering the standing area else you will be looking at some American's backpack for the duration - they all lean against the first row of seats because they aren't allowed to sit down.

#3 Scal

Scal

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:08 PM

Personally I like being a groundling where you stand for the performance.  I like to see the detail.

#4 Tulip

Tulip

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:27 PM

I woudln't bother. See the Bard done in a different house instead

#5 Jan Brock

Jan Brock

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2756 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:29 PM

Well, yes, that is true - but I think everyone should experience this venue once just to see how inauthentic "authentic" productions are. Apart from the generally poor direction and acting it is just a very distracting place to view theatre - you can't help but watch the ushers going expertly into action with a wheelchair every 30 minutes when a groundling keels over.

#6 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1026 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 02:47 PM

QUOTE(Jan Brock @ Mar 13 2007, 02:29 PM) View Post
Well, yes, that is true - but I think everyone should experience this venue once just to see how inauthentic "authentic" productions are. Apart from the generally poor direction and acting it is just a very distracting place to view theatre - you can't help but watch the ushers going expertly into action with a wheelchair every 30 minutes when a groundling keels over.

LOL. I love to go and sit in the yard. Then place a bet before getting dragged up before the Head Teacher!

Seriously. Do a a tour of the duilding, as it's stunning but then bugger off and see something elsewhere

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#7 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 04:20 PM

I've only even been once and that was as a groundling, I'd agree with Scal that it's good to be able to see the detail although I did make the mistake of going during a heatwave and they were practically dragging people out. For me the seats would be rather too far away because of the yard but then I do tend to like being up close and I believe taking a cusion is recommended.

Regardless of what people say I'd think it was worth visiting at least once to see theatre done rather differently. It may not be terribly authentic or have some dubious direction but I'm glad I've been and for 5 you can't go far wrong, although my legs did rather disagree with me on that one.

#8 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 06:01 PM

Do not stand unless you are young, very fit or eager for an experience to tell your grandchildren. It is killing on the feet and the back. You are not allowed to sit down or lean on the back wall or sit on the steps [ fire regulations] or even crouch down. Trust me on this one. The floor is dead hard and awful for standing on. I've been on about this before so I won't bore you again.
If you have a sitting/back problem don't go for the unsupported rows. Only the back row of each gallery has a wall you can lean on. They do hire out back supports now but to be safe take your own. They also hire out cushions but you can take your own. Don't go on the ground level because actually you can't see well from behind the standing punters and the rustle and activity of people going in and out and fussing and keeling over [ as Jan says] is distracting. The actors play to the galleries as well as to the groundlings; the sound carries well to the galleries too. I would go for a front row or second row middle gallery or, if they are for sale, then the gentlemen's rooms right at the side are nice because they have proper seats and although at the very side, offer a good view of the action most of the time. And you can get an impression of the whole shebang which is quite nice in the boring bits of the play action. There will be boring bits - they tend to shlep it out at the Globe. But it should be a fun time. Eating: very expensive snacks so take your own unless like me you adore chocolate covered nuts...the cafe is nice and the restaurant quite good. You can reserve tables. Give yourselves plenty of time because on a bright, warm evening, with a half decent play there is no better entertainment in town.

#9 Orsino

Orsino

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE(Polly1 @ Mar 13 2007, 12:45 PM) View Post
I have been asked by a friend to book tickets for the Globe later this year but, never having been before, would like some advice from the knowledgeable people on this forum as to the 'best' places to sit. I have studied the very good website and I know it depends on personal preference but any information or hints from people who've been would be gratefully received. Thanks.

Sounds odd but  try the restricted view in the back row (row E) in bay D - it isn't that restricted and you are high enough to see over the heads of other visitors/ also as you are at the end of the row, you can stretch your legs a bit!

#10 Guest_Skylight_*

Guest_Skylight_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2007 - 01:52 AM

I concur with Lynette; the middle gallery is where it's at.  

Don't sit in the back row of the lower gallery as, apart from the standers, that's the key place where punters faint.  If it's a warm day there's no air in the back row - and it's even more distracting watching stewards trying to get someone into a wheelechair from that angle.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users