29 replies to this topic

#11 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

I thought Bill did mention Willy Russell appreciatively in his speech although was slightly surprised not to see him there. Especially when Bob Tomson and Jon Miller were there. Great to see the band on stage and crew. Didn't realise it was the same sort of band throughout the 24 years.
I liked the ending - Blood Brothers has a fairly quiet fanbase compared to some musicals and it was nice that this show was really enjoyed by them (us). Great to see that the photos at the end and then the cast singing Tell Me It's Not True again. Although I'm a newish audience member (from 2006) last night was my 25th time. I know cynics might say this is being overly sentimental but I doubt London will see another show like this, as Kenwright said last night. The London production was like a secret - not having as much publicity as the other shows, the feeling like it sort of ran itself. It would have been many audience members' first visit to the theatre and probably not the last. I will miss it.
As for the cast it was great to finally see Warwick Evans' narrator: probably the best I've seen it played - utterly brilliant. Mark Hutchinson's Eddie was also my first and he plays him in a really sensitive way. Also, it was Great to see Jan Graveson's Linda. I thought it worked by giving her some bits to sing. And as the 7-year old she really came across like the sort of tearaway that Mickey would like. I like how she looked at the bodies in TMINT as well. Sean Jones and Vivienne Carlyle were impressive as usual as well.
Lyn Paul is my favourite Mrs. Johnstone. Her appearance changes throughout the show so at the end Mrs. J. looks old, frail and vulnerable, but she is still brilliant - some would say a metaphor for the show.
Some cast members cracked up on the night which the audience enjoyed and there was a lot of crying from cast, crew and audience. I found it touching that Warwick lightly tapped Sammy and one of the policeman's arms as he went passed in TMINT to comfort them. Extremely glad I was there.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#12 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1408 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 05:44 PM

View PostDanielWhit, on 11 November 2012 - 05:09 PM, said:

That's true - Willy Russell didn't want it to return to the West End, however on its third tour he saw a performance (unannounced), left at the interval and gave Kenwright the call to say he could take it back into London. If that single audience hadn't been as enthusiastic, it might never have returned.

I remember seeing that on The Story of Musicals, it took three tours for Kenwright to convince Willy Russell that it should go back to London.

#13 BringMeSunshine

BringMeSunshine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

So sad that this has closed. Stephanie Lawrence was my favourite Mrs J, seeing her on stage is what made me fall in love with musical theatre. May I ask what happened to Robert Locke? I don't recall having ever seen him in the cast.

#14 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:23 PM

He passed away in 1992 I think. I'm told that they had a special midnight performance in memory of him.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#15 BringMeSunshine

BringMeSunshine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:28 PM

And he was the original Eddie?

#16 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:29 PM

I think so - in this production. Not entirely sure.

#17 BringMeSunshine

BringMeSunshine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 November 2012 - 08:37 PM

Thank you. He can't have been very old. Such a shame and Stephanie Lawrence too.

#18 Millie Dillmount

Millie Dillmount

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

I'm absolutely gutted that I can't be there. I've seen the show lots over the years the first time being 1991 just before the transfer from the then Albery to the Phoenix. I'd booked to see the show on the original closing date and then couldn't make it for the new closing date. It was even more gutting when I saw who the cast were for he final two weeks!

It wasn't the show with the most expensive production values but that was part of its charm and appeal, but it will always have a special place in my heart and theatre going memories. I remembr the first time I saw the show after my mum died (her favourite show ever) and I cried all the way through!

From memory Robert lock (not died of a haematological cancer - lymphoma, hodgkins, leukaemia etc)

#19 abs2512

abs2512

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

I ws never keen on seeing this show, but once closing notices were posted (the original closing date), I did get tickets and I'm so glad I did - it was a brilliant show, better than I ever imagined it would be.
Titanic, Barnum, The Colour Purple, Passion Play,, The American Plan, Merrilly We Roll Along, High Society, Bullets and Daffidils, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,  Pride and Prdjudice, Let It Be, Macbeth, Billy Holliday, A Chorus Line, Salad Days, Tailor Made Man,Privates on Parade, Lift, Cabaret, Impotent, Rocky Horror Show, Kiss Me Kate, Loserville, Cinderella, Boy Meets Boy, Constellation, Victor/Victoria, Daddy Long Legs, Ragtime, I Love You Because, Singing in the Rain : Legally Blonde : La Cage Aux Faux : Sunset Boulevard : Million Dollar Quartet : Avenue Q : Much Ado About Nothing : Wicked : Lord Arthur Saville Crime : Blood Brothers : Grease : Mary Poppins : Thrill Me : The Exonerated : Flare Path : Hedder Gabler : Lend Me A Tenor : Crazy for You : Dirty Dancing : The Producers :Jersey Boys : Matilda : Sound of Music : Joseph : The Doctors Dilema :  Volcano : Soul Sister : Never Forget : Ghost : Les Miserables : Love Never Dies : Phantom of the Opera : Mack and Mable : Sweeney Todd : Chicago : Hair : Hairspray : Abigails Party : Rent : Our Boys : The Last Session: War Horse : The Kings Speech : The Wizard of Oz : Cats : Starlight Express : The Phantom of the Opera : Mamma Mia : The Lion King : Love Story : The Tempest : Billy Elliot : The 39 Steps : Oliver : Top Hat : Rock of Ages : One Man Two Govnors : Shrek : Dreamboats and Petticoats : All the Fun of the Fair : Burn the Floor : Betwixt : Ordinary Days : State Fair : Carousel : End of the Rainbow : Cool Hand Luke : The Book of Mormon : Once : Guys and Dolls : South Pacific : Sister Act : Priscilla,

#20 eastend_tom

eastend_tom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:53 PM

Have just uploaded my footage of the curtain call and Bill's speech here:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users