49 replies to this topic

#21 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:01 AM

West Side Story is one of the greatest musicals ever, if not THE greatest. However, I have never seen an even good production of it on stage. I would pay full price for this if I thought it was going to be awesome. But it is a fiendishly difficult show to do well as it requires a cast of genuine triple threats. Will this production be worth seeing or am I going to be disappointed again?

#22 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:06 AM

I was incredibly disappointed with this on the last tour, two weak leads didnt help. I wont be seeing it again.

#23 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

But if the leads were cast well for this incarnation - is the production, dancing etc. up to scratch? I would love to see a good production of this.

#24 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 10:15 AM

Well the dancing never changes as its always the same choreography, so as long as the cast are up to scratch and are strong dancers then yeah its good. It was ok, didnt get the fuss on why this production was so superior to others though.  Ive got to the stage with WSS that I think its quite overrated as a piece

#25 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:01 PM

I wish the NT would do it (like Oklahoma. Guys and Dolls and Carousel back in the day) or Chichester. I know the choreography is fixed but it is all in the execution. It has to "wow" not "meh". Perhaps it is time for a re-interpretation rather than slavishly following the original production?

#26 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3373 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 12:06 PM

Maybe, although its not going to happen as its part of the rights.  Personally I just dont think it works that well on stage

#27 lesterf

lesterf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 02:50 PM

I picked up a flyer for this at the New Wimbledon Theatre last night from Tue 19 - Sat 30
Nov 2013

#28 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 05:10 PM

My mum is desperate to see this. Are there likely to be any deals around for it?

#29 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 11:58 PM

I'm so excited by the casting for the UK tour after this, especially Djalenga (a wonderful Velma, one of the best I've seen and I've seen a few!) and Jack (never seen him showcase his acting before but he's a brilliant dancer) I think Katy will be great too.

#30 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 02:42 PM

Looking for seating advice - we're a couple of short-arses (5'3" and 5'4") - is the stage high? What's the rake like? Would row B be ok? Or are we better off going back to K30&31 (4th/3rd seat in from the side)?

There's also seats available in the first circle - sides of rows F and G and central row H - would they give a better overall view? Does the first circle feel very faw away from the satge?

Can't find any discounts so for £65 a ticket I want to make sure we get a good view!

Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users