58 replies to this topic

#11 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:30 AM

Crumbs, I should have booked for a companion to nudge me when I nod off - 2 hours 40 - aargh!  Mind you, the discomfort of the cheap seats may serve the same purpose...

#12 AnnieInTheStalls

AnnieInTheStalls

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 12:16 AM

I can understand this not raising much of a titter if you're not in the mood, but I thought it was a little Christmas treat. Very funny in the first half, less so in the second due to diminishing returns, but then a splendid pastiche of modern major general at the end lifted it again. Nancy Carroll was wonderful, as were John Lithgow, Jonathan Coy and Joshua Maguire (who's oddly more plausable as a 14 year old than a 19 year old), plus the set.

It's definitely worth sitting near the front for the facial expressions (particularly Nancy Carroll). And it finished at about 10.10.

One for those who liked London Assurance and She Stoops.

#13 Horton

Horton

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

Glad to hear the music was appreciated!
It's not so much do what you like, as it is that you like what you do

#14 paultheatre

paultheatre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:11 PM

Booked for this on one of the Damned by Despair dates. Good cheap seats still available!

#15 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:46 PM

Whoever said that it's like London Assurance and She Stoops To Conquer, they are right. Lots to enjoy, good uncomplicated fun. I have written more in my blog, for anyone who is interested.

#16 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3741 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:49 PM

Well I loved London Assurance but was bored by She Stoops, so I wonder which side I'll come down on for this one?

#17 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:33 AM

View PostPharaoh, on 18 November 2012 - 10:49 PM, said:

Well I loved London Assurance but was bored by She Stoops, so I wonder which side I'll come down on for this one?

Well I loved both :) Structurally, The Magistrate has quite a bit in common with She Stoops, but She Stoops is not really a farce. In that sense, The Magistrate and London Assurance have more in common.

#18 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

View PostPoly, on 18 November 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

Whoever said that it's like London Assurance and She Stoops To Conquer, they are right. Lots to enjoy, good uncomplicated fun. I have written more in my blog, for anyone who is interested.

Me too and I loved The Magistrate, ridiculous songs, amusing wigs, spectular sets, outrageous over-acting and all. And I defy anyone not have a ridiculous grin on their face during the final song :)  I agree it's not side-splitting in the way One Man Two Givnors was but it's a great romp and just right for a Christmas show

#19 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:47 AM

Two stars from Billington? Perhaps the NT should reinstate the cancelled performances of Damned By Despair? :o

#20 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:09 PM

Don't worry about those grouchy reviews from Spencer and Billers.  This is a fun night out.  I can't say it split my sides and yes, if the songs were shortened or lost (apart from the last one) then I wouldn't have minded, but I thought the cast was pretty uniformly great and would say this was well worth going to see.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users