• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#41 Portugal1000

Portugal1000

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

We saw the matinee yesterday (27th) and I really loved it. It definitely wasn't the funniest laugh out loud farce I have seen, infact I thought it was quite subtle but I think that is why I enjoyed it so much. We had £12 seats in the circle which were perfectly fine, my husband thought they were a little high up but when I told him they were only £12 he was more than happy. We took my 12 year old son who wasn't as impressed, maybe he was just a little too young for a farce, which is slightly worrying as we are taking him to One Man Two Guvnors next week! Anyway, it was a lovely Christmas treat. We both thought John Lithgow was superb.

#42 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1287 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:22 PM

I beg to differ re Nancy Carroll. I adore her BUT she's always the same. Same voice... Same mannerisms.
It was a bit flat for me but then the theatre was half empty.

The set was rather fabulous though. Though its Xmas setting was never once made sense of.

#43 PaulR

PaulR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 07:50 AM

Didn't make the second half of this. Partly because I wasn't feeling too well but mainly because I just wasn't enjoying it. I didn't find it at all funny and struggled to hear a word the female characters were saying. Didn't help that the man behind with avery deep throaty laugh found every line delivered the funniest thing he had ever heard. Bah humbug.

#44 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 08:05 AM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 01 January 2013 - 11:22 PM, said:

The set was rather fabulous though. Though its Xmas setting was never once made sense of.

Odd that Twelfth Night hardly ever has an Xmas setting (I can think of only one production of it that did) despite the clue in the title.

#45 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

I didn't take it as a christmas setting in particular though I see how it could be taken that way. The set was certainly ingenious and was of a piece with the costumed singers who bridged the scene changes, underlining, I suppose, the slightness of the thing.  I know the songs have been controversial but I enjoyed them - though my companion did not.

The play itself was fun and highly entertaining - I laughed a lot.  Lithgow was terrific as were Nancy Carroll and the others although I agree that a couple of the ladies could have projected better.  I hadn't quite realized going in that it was a farce - and a rather good one.  I was definitely impressed with Pinero's intricate plotting.  Feydeau couldn't have done it better.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#46 AnnieInTheStalls

AnnieInTheStalls

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:00 AM

Notice at the National tonight saying "Owing to the indisposition of John Lithgow, Nancy Carroll and Christopher Logan..." I know these things happen, but that's a bit of a raw deal for the punters.

#47 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:20 AM

View PostAnnieInTheStalls, on 06 January 2013 - 12:00 AM, said:

Notice at the National tonight saying "Owing to the indisposition of John Lithgow, Nancy Carroll and Christopher Logan..." I know these things happen, but that's a bit of a raw deal for the punters.
It was like that on Friday. In the end I skipped out at the interval, I wasn't laughing, enjoying myself or feeling very good so decided to just cut my losses and make a run for it.
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#48 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:39 AM

O dear. Sickness virus I suppose. Poor things.

#49 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:36 AM

The same three were still sick at yesterday's matinee, though I didn't realise until the interval, when I belatedly picked up the free cast list.  I'd never seen John Lithgow anyway, and Nancy Carroll only once, so would not have recognised them, and I enjoyed the performance anyway, as it seemed did most people in the almost-full house.  For me it worked very well as a sort of alternative panto.

#50 Ruby Sue

Ruby Sue

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

I don't suppose anyone has seen this since & knows if John Lithgow is back on yet? I talked my other half into coming along to see this one as he missed out on seeing Stories by Heart back in 2009. He'll be a bit gutted to miss out again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users