65 replies to this topic

#61 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:44 AM

I think they should offer a free 2nd visit to those who sat mystified through the confusing first version!

#62 dallardice

dallardice

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 196 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:43 AM

fringefan, I'd love to say it was crystal clear in the revised version... but I didn't think so and my partner (who knew nothing about it in advance) was completely lost...

#63 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:56 AM

So now there is a reason for it being fragmented, but I'm not sure that will make it any more enjoyable overall.

But I'm glad they have responded to comments.

#64 abs2512

abs2512

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:24 AM

View Posttheatrically, on 12 February 2013 - 07:03 PM, said:

nothing would make me go back to see this it was just a mess.I had tickets for this friday and have sold them on.
I have to say, for family reasons, I couldn't go last night - I am still waiting to hear from my friends who did go to find out what they thought.
Titanic, Barnum, The Colour Purple, Passion Play,, The American Plan, Merrilly We Roll Along, High Society, Bullets and Daffidils, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory,  Pride and Prdjudice, Let It Be, Macbeth, Billy Holliday, A Chorus Line, Salad Days, Tailor Made Man,Privates on Parade, Lift, Cabaret, Impotent, Rocky Horror Show, Kiss Me Kate, Loserville, Cinderella, Boy Meets Boy, Constellation, Victor/Victoria, Daddy Long Legs, Ragtime, I Love You Because, Singing in the Rain : Legally Blonde : La Cage Aux Faux : Sunset Boulevard : Million Dollar Quartet : Avenue Q : Much Ado About Nothing : Wicked : Lord Arthur Saville Crime : Blood Brothers : Grease : Mary Poppins : Thrill Me : The Exonerated : Flare Path : Hedder Gabler : Lend Me A Tenor : Crazy for You : Dirty Dancing : The Producers :Jersey Boys : Matilda : Sound of Music : Joseph : The Doctors Dilema :  Volcano : Soul Sister : Never Forget : Ghost : Les Miserables : Love Never Dies : Phantom of the Opera : Mack and Mable : Sweeney Todd : Chicago : Hair : Hairspray : Abigails Party : Rent : Our Boys : The Last Session: War Horse : The Kings Speech : The Wizard of Oz : Cats : Starlight Express : The Phantom of the Opera : Mamma Mia : The Lion King : Love Story : The Tempest : Billy Elliot : The 39 Steps : Oliver : Top Hat : Rock of Ages : One Man Two Govnors : Shrek : Dreamboats and Petticoats : All the Fun of the Fair : Burn the Floor : Betwixt : Ordinary Days : State Fair : Carousel : End of the Rainbow : Cool Hand Luke : The Book of Mormon : Once : Guys and Dolls : South Pacific : Sister Act : Priscilla,

#65 DeNada

DeNada

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:48 PM

Well.

Um.

As usual I worry about being mean about new British musical theatre because people will then accuse me of not supporting the industry etc. but I thought it was a bit pants, really.  Songs going nowhere melodically or lyrically, lots of LOUD BELTING AT THE TOP OF YOUR VOCAL RANGE deafening the audience, and a very, very odd plot - it's still not much clearer even locating the letter to the top of the show, and basically nothing gets resolved.  I understand that in a 54 second moment perhaps you only get a snapshot - but I don't think a single plotline reached a conclusion.

My personal interpretation is that the Busker has never had a relationship with anyone and that the letter isn't his either.  He fancies Secretary!Kate and imagines what he would do if he asks her out on a date - but he mostly is just making up stories about the lives of everyone in the lift with him and from the letter.  That's why everyone's called Gabriel, Sarah or Kate - because those are the names from the letter or that he overhears in the lift.  There's nothing to say that the nameless teacher is a lesbian, or that Secretary!Kate loves her boss... it's all just made up.

The show isn't thought-provoking in the right way - it's just baffling.  The teacher's song is just an endless list of places/things she's "lost in" - so what?  What does that tell us?  What does Stripperina!Kate's song say that the book scenes didn't already (although honestly that applies to all the songs)?  Why is there no consistency to when the "avatars" in the chatroom speak and when the real people do? etc. etc.

#66 alec_e10

alec_e10

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 07:46 AM

I went to see this show last night fully expecting to be totally confused by it judging by the previous posts on here and guess what?................
I was!
For the first 10 minutes I tried to understand it but then just gave up and decided to enjoy the performances and music.
I really did enjoy it but dont have a clue what it was about, I was completely baffled.
Great performances by the cast and strong singing
The songs didnt really go anywhere and I cant remember any of them but that didnt really stop my enjoyment.
It was completely full last night apart from a few empty stools on the sides and I was pleasantly surprised by how young the audience was who seemed to really appreciate it.

Also tagged with Lift, Craig Adams, Soho Theatre, Julie Atherton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users