15 replies to this topic

#1 e888boo

e888boo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 06:35 PM

Hi

I'm currently a member of The Audience Club which I so far had fair use out of.

However would it be worth joining The Whatsonstage Theatre Club or Play By Play as well??

Is there much cross over? I mean what shows have the others had recently that people have enjoyed?

Or are there any other clubs I'm not aware of?

Thanks for any help

Jim

#2 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

As far as I know, part of the deal with these clubs is that don't say what you've got to see with them. WIth these theatre clubs rule one is that you never talk about these theatre clubs.
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#3 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:00 PM

Yes I think you are supposed to be discreet about things like that, but I think there is a thread somewhere already about The Audience Club Vs Play by Play, in terms of which is better, but actual shows offered are not discussed.

#4 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

Jim, as as been said elsewhere, AC has a far better choice than PBP, but PBP sometimes has big West End shows that AC doesn't. WhatsOnStage is hopeless, just the odd fringe theatre and only usually one or two shows at a time. I just let my WoS membership lapse this week, but get lots of use out of the other two.
www.frontrowdress.com

#5 e888boo

e888boo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:21 AM

Thanks all, all very helpful.

At £75 for the PBP subscription just wanted to get a decent read on whether it was worth the additional investment alongside AC.

I get the discretion, loose lips and all... :-)

#6 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:27 AM

I understand what posters are saying about not talking about these organisations in detail, particularly plays seen, but how are other keen theatregoers ever to find out about them in that case?  I've been a regular theatregoer since my teens, which means 40+ years, but as I go alone, I would never hear about such organisations by word-of-mouth, yet surely I am precisely the sort of person at whom they are aimed?

#7 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:58 AM

View Postfringefan, on 18 November 2012 - 05:27 AM, said:

I understand what posters are saying about not talking about these organisations in detail, particularly plays seen, but how are other keen theatregoers ever to find out about them in that case?

Isn't this very thread the answer to that question?

I don't know the precise way in which the finance of these organisations operates but given that it's essentially a loss leader as far as the producers are concerned and they don't want too many people knowing about it because then nobody would ever want full-price tickets, I can't imagine that "we need far more people" is ever a problem the schemes face. You want them more than they want you, so they've no great incentive to make sure everyone knows about them.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#8 freckles

freckles

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:40 AM

You can't just join when you feel like it either, both clubs have periods when they accept new members & times when they are full. You really do have to rely on word of mouth there, that way friends of existing members get recommended. It is all very discreet, wouldn't work otherwise.

#9 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1244 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

WOS club is very good for q&a sessions, meet and greets, including a progamme and drink in the ticket price,  and group rates for long running shows that don't usually discount. They are not especially good for 'free' tickets.

It's not really the same as Audience Club, which stresses that it mainly provides tickets for fringe theatre.

#10 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

It's impossible to compare the two (WoS and TAC) IMHO, they operate in entirely different markets. Small cross over but that is so slim it's really not even worth considering.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users