155 replies to this topic

#151 Seriously

Seriously

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:05 AM

ALW doesn't have much say in the production... it's Bill Kenwright.

#152 Showstopper

Showstopper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 01:54 AM

Oh yeah I forgot ALW sold all the rights too bill coz he was broke.. Silly me. Their sticking it back into WEstend next year so they better cast it better next year

#153 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1223 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 10:01 AM

The issue is that Marti Pellow will sell tickets in this commercial tour. It is playing (played) some big theatres with a lot of seats to fill. He is a name that is willing to undertake a huge national tour. Many names just will not do it, and the (sad) fact is that without a "name" in the cast the general public (not the discerning folk on here of course) in the "provinces" simply will not buy tickets if they don't know "who's in it".

#154 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3375 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 12:59 PM

I wouldnt say thats completely true.  Plenty of big name shows can tour without a name, the issue with Evita (and other touring shows) is that they are almost always on tour and come back to venues quite regularly.  So maybe the first time the show will sell out without a name, but return visits require a new hook.

#155 BurlyBeaR

BurlyBeaR

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 05 November 2013 - 03:50 PM

It's back in Manchester AGAIN next spring. In the last 3 years or so this production has been at the Lowry twice (at least) the Opera House, and next time will be at The Palace. Such is the persistence I found myself buying  a ticket at the weekend even though I saw it first time round and I can't stand Pellow. I'm interested in seeing the female lead though and I did enjoy the production. You have to wonder when a production reaches the point where everyone who wants to see it  has seen it though. Is MP really enough of a draw? I don't know anyone who likes him.

#156 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 06 November 2013 - 12:28 PM

I think they overestimate Pellow's popularity. Yes, he brings in some groups of middle aged women who fawn over him but most people I think go to see it because it's Evita. I don't think numbers going to see it would suddenly drop substantially if he was to leave the show.
And it's worth sitting through him to see Madalena Alberto's magnificent performance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users