155 replies to this topic

#101 holler

holler

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:19 PM

LOVE this show. The music and lyrics are completely epic, and I was blown away by Madalena. I didn't know her before this, but her acting is phenomenal. She has a great voice and even the biggest songs seem effortless. But her interpretation of Don't Cry for Me was wonderful; it was so nice to see it acted rather than simply sung. She transforms before your eyes throughout the show.

I thought the set was impressive for a tour. It didn't seem clunky to me - the only time I struggled was the previously mentioned mirrors. They seemed heavy and unyielding and kept reflecting the lights into the audience in an unhelpful manner.

As for Marti.. what can I say. He almost ruined the show for me. I saw Matt Rawle (? I think) in London 6 or so years ago, and I'm used to listening to him on the soundtrack and he OWNS every single song. Some of Che's solo songs are my favourites eg Oh What a Circus, and Marti does nothing for them. His voice has no soul, no depth, he can't act... ugh. He was every bit as bad as I feared, maybe worse.

I was appalled that he seemed to get a bigger cheer than Madalena at the bows. Grr!

#102 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3393 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:23 PM

Does Marti have any planned time off from the show?

#103 holler

holler

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:34 PM

View PostTitan, on 26 May 2013 - 08:23 PM, said:

Does Marti have any planned time off from the show?

God, I hope so. Find out when it is and spread the word far and wide, and I'll go and see his infinitely more talented (I'm sure) understudy.

I'm sure booking him has sold a lot of seats and some of the ladies clearly enjoyed him but I heard a lot of people complaining they couldn't tell what he was saying and in a show like this that is sung through, that's going to be a problem.

#104 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3393 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:42 PM

id see it in southampton, and i dont mind marti (chicago and witches he was good) but think he is wrong for this

#105 fafnor

fafnor

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 11:01 PM

I saw this at the weekend, first time ever seeing it.

Thought it was overall pretty good - didn't particularly rate Marti Pellow, he didn't convey enough passion or anger for my liking.

Evita was well sung but a little over-acted, loved Peron's performance,

liked the sets and ensemble, but would have liked a bit more singing for the Rainbow tour

The tone was a little confused, I think its with the attempt to soften the character of Evita, she is often played as girlish and coy, which sits a bit at odds with the song lyrics.

I was a bit disappointed in the ending - the performance of Dice are Rolling was flawless, but I don't like You must love me being tacked on, and the final broadcast was stilted, I also didn't like the way the lament was done -  it lost its power.

It felt a bit like they were trying to make Eva come to terms with her death and accept it - the heartbreak of the story should come from her regret at the end - I guess it wasn't portrayed tragically enough for me.

perhaps I've just watched too many youtube videos!

definitely worth seeing though

#106 JME52K

JME52K

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:01 PM

View Postholler, on 26 May 2013 - 08:19 PM, said:

LOVE this show. The music and lyrics are completely epic, and I was blown away by Madalena. I didn't know her before this, but her acting is phenomenal. She has a great voice and even the biggest songs seem effortless. But her interpretation of Don't Cry for Me was wonderful; it was so nice to see it acted rather than simply sung. She transforms before your eyes throughout the show.

I thought the set was impressive for a tour. It didn't seem clunky to me - the only time I struggled was the previously mentioned mirrors. They seemed heavy and unyielding and kept reflecting the lights into the audience in an unhelpful manner.

As for Marti.. what can I say. He almost ruined the show for me. I saw Matt Rawle (? I think) in London 6 or so years ago, and I'm used to listening to him on the soundtrack and he OWNS every single song. Some of Che's solo songs are my favourites eg Oh What a Circus, and Marti does nothing for them. His voice has no soul, no depth, he can't act... ugh. He was every bit as bad as I feared, maybe worse.

I was appalled that he seemed to get a bigger cheer than Madalena at the bows. Grr!
   I agree with every word of your critique. Saw it tonight in Sheffield and could not believe how bad Marti was. I thought he might get better in time but in my opinion he is getting worse.  He did get a big cheer at the end which Madalena graciously smiled through. It didn't seem fair but he does put bums on seats (packed house on Wednesday evening) so he is going to keep being offered work when much more talented but less well known artists are 'resting'.

#107 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3393 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 05:00 AM

but then if he didnt do it would the show have atill toured yet again? therefore him being in that one role is helping employ the rest of the cast and crew that otherwise wouldnt be working

#108 JME52K

JME52K

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 01:02 PM

Agree with you Titan and who knows, the Marti fans might decide they liked the theatre experience and go again.

#109 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 11:17 PM

Not strictly related to the touring production, but I saw Patti LuPone a few weeks ago and she said that she was offered Evita for 8 weeks on broadway. She turned it down because the pay wasn't enough, but how amazing would it have been!
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#110 wickedlover

wickedlover

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:05 AM

View PostKevinUK, on 12 July 2013 - 11:17 PM, said:

Not strictly related to the touring production, but I saw Patti LuPone a few weeks ago and she said that she was offered Evita for 8 weeks on broadway. She turned it down because the pay wasn't enough, but how amazing would it have been!

Really?? Like, for the recent revival??
Surely she would be too old for the role now, and given the amount of complaints she made towards the score, I'm surprised this would be true.
LONDON
[2004 ]   Mary Poppins - Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
[2008] The Sound of Music - Wicked
[2009] Oliver! - Billy Elliot - Grease - Wicked - Avenue Q - Sister Act - Wicked - The Rise and Fall of Little Voice
[2010]     Oliver! - Sister Act - The Lion King - Wicked - Sister Act
[2011]     Legally Blonde - Jersey Boys - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical - Jersey Boys - Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Shrek the Musical
[2012] Ghost the Musical - The Wizard of Oz - Matilda the Musical - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Ghost the Musical - The Lion King - Les Miserables - Jest End - Shrek the Musical - Wicked - Wicked - The Woman in Black - Matilda the Musical
[2013]     The Bodyguard - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - We Will Rock You - The Woman in Black - Wicked - The Book of Mormon - Les Miserables - Charlie & the Chocolate Factory - Billy Elliot - The Bodyguard - Wicked - Wicked
[2014] The Bodyguard - The Book of Mormon - Wicked - Matilda the Musical - Blithe Spirit - We Will Rock You - Wicked - Miss Saigon - Les Miserables - An Evening With Julie Andrews - Let The Right One In - The Bodyguard

BELFAST
[2004] Joseph (UK Tour)
[2007] Cats (UK Tour)
[2009] Evita (UK Tour x2) - Fame (UK Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour)
[2010] The Sound of Music (UK Tour x3)
[2011] Spamalot (UK Tour) - Avenue Q (UK Tour x2) - Dancing Shoes: The George Best Story - Joseph (UK Tour)
[2012] The King and I (UK Tour) - Grease (UK Tour) - Blood Brothers (UK Tour) - Legally Blonde (UK Tour x2) -   The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Jesus Christ Superstar (Arena Tour) - Chicago (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)
[2013] Soul Sister (UK Tour) - High Society (UK Tour) - Hairspray (UK Tour) - We Will Rock You (10th Anniversary Arena Tour) - 9 to 5 (UK Tour) - Priscilla, Queen of the Desert (UK Tour) - Evita (UK Tour x3) - Thriller Live (UK Tour) - Joseph (UK Tour) - Cats (UK Tour x2)
[2014] Singin' In The Rain (UK Tour) - Birdsong (UK Tour) - The Mousetrap (UK Tour) - Shrek the Musical (UK Tour) - One Man, Two Guvnors (UK Tour)

MANCHESTER
[2011] Mamma Mia (Int Tour) - Ghost the Musical (World Premier)
[2012] The Lion King (UK Tour)
[2013] Ghost the Musical (UK Tour) - Wicked (UK Tour x2)

DUBLIN
[2011] Sister Act (UK Tour)
[2012] The Phantom of the Opera (UK Tour)
[2013] Wicked (UK Tour)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users