poppy tierney

#32 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:50 PM

Has anyone seen Martin pillow recentlyt in blood brothers?
Nothing moves
Shockingly bad
Eva's death might work but not sure he's playing that role
He earns 10k a weeks so before you start your dream casting do include your local amateurs that's all the money that will left and to be honest the only people Kenwright might find to work with him

#33 LynnR

LynnR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:43 PM

It never ceases to amaze me how quick people are to criticise others on this forum. I suppose it is easy to have a pop at someone that's in the limelight and I suppose for them it goes with the territory. One only has to read the recent tweets from other Blood Brothers cast members to know that the comments on here about Marti Pellow are not true. As for "Titan's" comment - "che could suit him as the role doesnt have to have a power belt voice.", clearly Titan has never heard Marti singing live, he has an incredibly powerful voice!

#34 jamescrispy94

jamescrispy94

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:56 PM

I saw Marti in Blood Brothers last Ictorber and in Jekyll and Hyde two years ago and I must say I enjoyed him in Blood Brothers more, possibly because as Jekyll he was biting off more than he could chew. But his voice is good, acting mediocre so nothing really sticks out of him except for the fact he's Marti Pellow. What were his reviews like for Billy Flynn in Chicago? Surely they must have been decent as he went to Broadway with it!

#35 Showstopper

Showstopper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:40 AM

It's someone from Scrooge from Xmas.. Not sure on peron. Probs the last person mark henahan... Check spelling!

It does Denmark and some German venues which wasn't included in last tour.. Maybe Italy again

The supporting cast will be recent grads and previous cast to feel the gaps.

Keyboard strings and wood wind most likely..

And same art graphics with marti's face photo shopped in.

Maybe I saw it a few times in 2010 to often..

Remind me to see Book of Mormon........ Can't wait !!!

#36 Showstopper

Showstopper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:46 AM

View PostLynnR, on 01 March 2013 - 10:43 PM, said:

It never ceases to amaze me how quick people are to criticise others on this forum. I suppose it is easy to have a pop at someone that's in the limelight and I suppose for them it goes with the territory. One only has to read the recent tweets from other Blood Brothers cast members to know that the comments on here about Marti Pellow are not true. As for "Titan's" comment - "che could suit him as the role doesnt have to have a power belt voice.", clearly Titan has never heard Marti singing live, he has an incredibly powerful voice!

Powerful voice ?! He is known to take up the who sound check to add exta speakers to hear 'himself' on stage.. Kenwright paid him 20k a week for J&H, he begged to do BB and was paid the basic for lead/support.. It's stunt casting at its best!

Does anyone know how old he is ?! And how old che should be ?!

#37 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:30 AM

Marti Pellow is 48 and looks a lot older than that. He has not aged well. I'm not sure how old Che is meant to be but I always felt he was meant to be a young revolutionary figure, maybe early 30s. And that's putting aside that he is a terrible actor and mediocre (at best) singer. Dreadful casting decision.

#38 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3357 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

Age doesn't matter to me with Che. Seamus was young, but I loved Antonio Bandaras in the film. It's more important that the actor playing him has stage presence, charisma and likeability!

Marti's voice is not the problem. It's his wooden/hammy acting, lack of facial expressions and the fact I just don't like him!

#39 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3377 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 08:33 AM

Ive seen Marti in a few things

Chicago - Good, bordering very good
Witches of Eastwick - very good if a bit hard to hear (but he wasnt the only one)
Chess - Average
Jekyll - Ok, watchable

His voice isnt what id call powerful but its decent enough in the right role. Che may work.  Agree acting isnt his strength.

Che is an everyman so age isnt an issue too much, although much older than marti wouldnt work. Seamus wasnt exactly an amazing actor and was a bit cheesy but it was ok.  The only decent Che ive seen is Matt Rawle

Im a bit worried about Eva now, Ido think Kenwrights production is actually very good and an improvement on the west end revival, but it needs a strong Eva. Louise and Rachel were excellent but not sure on someone who is a bit fresh.

#40 LynnR

LynnR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:25 PM

View PostShowstopper, on 02 March 2013 - 01:46 AM, said:

Powerful voice ?! He is known to take up the who sound check to add exta speakers to hear 'himself' on stage.. Kenwright paid him £20k a week for J&H, he begged to do BB and was paid the basic for lead/support.. It's stunt casting at its best!

I don't know where you get your "info" from but I have known Marti for a number of years. I have had dealings with many people that have worked with him both on and off stage and I have honestly never heard a bad word said about him. He is one of the most humble, modest people that I have ever met. He is very down to earth and always courteous - a real gent! I speak from experience rather than hearsay.

And to everyone that has criticised his ability - could you do better?!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users