155 replies to this topic

#41 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3384 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:45 PM

@lynnr Your argument might have had merit but the childish final sentence undid any valid points you had.  Your basically saying that unless you can do better you have no business criticising anyone for doing anything.

#42 LynnR

LynnR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

View PostTitan, on 02 March 2013 - 12:45 PM, said:

@lynnr Your argument might have had merit but the childish final sentence undid any valid points you had.  Your basically saying that unless you can do better you have no business criticising anyone for doing anything.

It is very easy to be critical of people. Personally, "I" wouldn't criticise anyone for doing something that I couldn't do myself.

#43 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3384 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:56 PM

So you have never critised the government, a tv programme, a film, a show, a performer of any kind.

Not everyone can do everything, and Marti can not act convincingly, he is a decent pop singer (if you like his type of voice) but an actor he is not.

As someone paying for a product or service you have every right to be critical (without being nasty), why should people spend their money and accept mediocrity

#44 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3384 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:26 PM

Sarah Earnshaw was in Scrooge, is it her playing Eva?

#45 Showstopper

Showstopper

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:37 PM

Lets all just wait until the first review..

#46 LynnR

LynnR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:47 PM

View PostTitan, on 02 March 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

So you have never critised the government, a tv programme, a film, a show, a performer of any kind.

Not everyone can do everything, and Marti can not act convincingly, he is a decent pop singer (if you like his type of voice) but an actor he is not.

As someone paying for a product or service you have every right to be critical (without being nasty), why should people spend their money and accept mediocrity

I have never criticised anyone in a public arena, that's just not my way.

There have always been anti-Marti comments on here and I know that anything that I say won't change the opinions of those that don't like him as a performer. The only reason I posted on here was because the comments about him as a person were unfair and untrue. I wanted to let the casual viewer see that not everyone has the same opinion of him and in my experience, he is always a very genuine and lovely person.

I hope that if any of you do go to see the show, you enjoy it. I have never seen it before and am really looking forward to it.

I have said my bit so won't be posting again.
Cheers!

#47 Lou105

Lou105

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:57 PM

View PostTitan, on 02 March 2013 - 01:26 PM, said:

Sarah Earnshaw was in Scrooge, is it her playing Eva?

She's about to start as Lady of the Lake in Spamalot, although the contracts for that don't seem to be long..

#48 Matthew Winn

Matthew Winn

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2898 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:45 PM

View PostLynnR, on 02 March 2013 - 12:49 PM, said:

It is very easy to be critical of people. Personally, "I" wouldn't criticise anyone for doing something that I couldn't do myself.

That attitude makes no sense to me. Whenever someone is doing a job they're being paid to do something competently, and if they're not doing the job well then the people they're doing it for have every right to complain. If a plumber did a bad job on your water supply would you refrain from complaining because you're no good at plumbing? If a bus driver crashes would you hold back from commenting because you can't drive a bus? If a pilot flies a plane into what the industry has rather morbidly referred to as cumulo-granite do you have to be a fellow pilot to say that the flight has been suboptimal?

When someone is paid to do something, or when you're paying for them to do something, then it doesn't matter whether you can do it. What matters is whether they can do it, and given that they're doing it for you nobody has more right than you to comment on it.
I have always hated eggs. I remember back when I was a sperm I tried to head-butt one. It did not end well.

#49 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:57 AM

View PostLynnR, on 02 March 2013 - 02:47 PM, said:

I have said my bit so won't be posting again.

Well thank goodness for that, your comments make no sense at all.

#50 EmmyA

EmmyA

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:15 PM

I think it’s fair enough for people to give their opinion on a performance & if for some reason you didn’t like Marti Pellow’s performance(s), well… no-one can please everyone! At theatres though, I have heard many positive comments about his singing and characterisation from audience members & personally I’m impressed by him too.
I think the ‘names’ that appear in musicals often draw strong opinions, just because they’re in the limelight but if posts descend into personal & derogatory comments, then I think that’s out of order.
Like LynnR I have read comments from Marti’s onstage colleagues-and not just from Blood Brothers- that clearly show a camaraderie and appreciation of the part he plays.
I’ve also heard & read interviews where, when asked about how he got into musical theatre, he always acknowledges the support and encouragement he’s had from those more experienced in this arena than himself. That doesn’t sound to me like someone who treats other cast members badly but rather backs up the humility and grounded qualities LynnR described.
I have to say his voice HAS great strength and depth & he delivers volume or softness as the occasion demands.
I’m definitely going to see this production of Evita-tickets booked!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users