• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 Brad

Brad

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 08:33 PM

You may not have heard of Leighton James House, but Tim Rice has hailed him as :"One of the most promising young composers I've heard."

His full-scale musical based on Terry Pratchett's ONLY YOU CAN SAVE MANKIND was a major hit at the 2004 Edinburgh Festival.

Charles Spencer of The Daily Telegraph saw it and raved:" Talented young composer Leighton James House is clearly an outstanding prospect for the future".

Now London is to hear excepts from that show and several others he's penned and premiered out of London, including LIFTS in A LITTLE HOUSE MUSIC at the Arts Theatre on Sunday March 18 & Monday March 19 at 7.30pm

The evening will feature the composer and a cast of well-known West End singers.

On seeing Only You Can Save Mankind, Terry Pratchett said: 'If I'd known it was going to be this good, I'd have written a better book!'

Box Office: 0870 060 1742
Tickets £15.00 £12.50 (concs)

#2 Simon Jones

Simon Jones

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 March 2007 - 09:16 PM

About bloody time!

I saw Only You in Edinburgh and thought I'd see it in full scale musical mode before now.  It's got a brilliant score.  I hope they do Sigourney!

I'll forsake my mother for this! See you on the 18th.

Simon, x

#3 StephenG

StephenG

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 08:52 AM

He had a review of his songs at the Bridewell a number of years ago.  I remember thinking the songs were good...

Then I saw Lifts in Edinburgh.  In my opinion, not a very strong piece - but some of the music was good.  I still even listen to the CD occasionally...

Saw Only You Can Save Mankind in Edinburgh and loved it.  Was really hoping for a transfer to London, but no luck.  Was also hoping for a CD.  I thought it was a very strong piece.

Hope we continue to hear more from him.  Will try to make this concert...

#4 xTanyax

xTanyax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Singing, dancing, acting, musicals, trampolining, spending time with friends.

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:24 PM

I guess we don't know who the west end singers are going to be?

#5 Brad

Brad

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:38 PM

WEST END SINGERS CONFIRMED FOR "A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC"

Ashleigh Gray - Grease, Taboo, Only You Can Save Mankind, NHS The Musical

Polli Redston - Blondel, Whistle Down The Wind, Only You Can Save Mankind

Gavin James - Blondel, Whistle Down The Wind, Hermes The Musical

Mat Craig - Showboat, Miss Saigon, Beauty and the Beast

Lucy Thatcher - The Rat Pack - Live From Las Vegas, Fiddler on the Roof

Anthony Flaum - 2006, Radio, Quarter Finalist, BBC RADIO 2 VOICE OF MUSICAL THEATRE COMPETITION, BBC Television, Lead Tenor in SPIRIT OF THE DANCE

The evening's narrator is Jane Lucas (Sheila in BBC's The Office)

#6 xTanyax

xTanyax

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Singing, dancing, acting, musicals, trampolining, spending time with friends.

Posted 14 March 2007 - 02:57 PM

Thanks for that.

#7 Xander Hough

Xander Hough

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 March 2007 - 04:18 PM

So good to see new work making it.  There's hope for aspiring writers everywhere.

#8 deluded munchkin

deluded munchkin

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:32 AM

QUOTE(Xander Hough @ Mar 15 2007, 04:18 PM) View Post
So good to see new work making it.  There's hope for aspiring writers everywhere.

If you're interested in new musicals, check out the link to this website.....Whatsonstage are sponsoring the event this year which should be good...there's an article on this site about it too!

#9 deluded munchkin

deluded munchkin

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE(deluded munchkin @ Mar 19 2007, 09:32 AM) View Post
If you're interested in new musicals, check out the link to this website.....Whatsonstage are sponsoring the event this year which should be good...there's an article on this site about it too!

Probably best to add the link....yeh I know!!!

www.perfectpitchmusicals.com

#10 Simon Jones

Simon Jones

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 02:35 PM

I was not disappointed.

Leighton James House is the most exciting, versatile musical composer I’ve heard for years.

Last night’s concert at the Arts Theatre reassured me that we do have the talent to produce the goods in the UK and I wish him the best of luck.

The singers were terrific, especial Ashleigh Gray and Gavin James.  Gray’s rendition of ‘Sigourney’ is what it’s all about for me and Gavin pulls at your heart with his rich, full voice.

The evening featured large sections From House’s musicals Only You Can Save Mankind and The Love of Seven Dolls.  These two show are so different I find it hard to believe they are by the same person.  Both are exciting pieces indeed.

And then there was the band!  Some of the best Cello playing I’ve ever heard.  What a wonderful choice.  They were as slick as cast and added a touch of class.  

A wonderful evening, I may go again tonight!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users