19 replies to this topic

#1 spendleb

spendleb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:36 PM

Has anyone been to see this yet? I went to Manchester on Friday night, I was so excited as whilst I am not the biggest Green Day fan, I like some of their songs and I’ve had the show soundtrack for ages (mainly as I think Brian Charles Johnson is amazing ;-), loved him ever since Spring Awakening.

Anyway I digress, I sat down and watched the first 20 minutes of the show thinking what the hell is this, I was desperately trying to grasp the narrative which isn’t really there then I stopped, I stopped and just enjoyed the music, of which the lyrics now make much more sense, the visuals and the staging, all of which are immense, in the end I absolutely loved it, I really want to see it again to just appreciate it all from the start.

If you have seen it, what did you think?

#2 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3361 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 01:37 PM

I loved it! One of the best things ive seen this year. Really hope it exdtends its London run or goes back out on tour as I want to see it again.

#3 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 02:00 PM

The story was nothing special, but I got the general idea and the cast did well to convey it through movement whilst using the stage and some props.
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#4 lesterf

lesterf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

This is a bit more encouranging.. I am seeing it in London and I only know 1 person who saw it in Manchester and they left at the interval and said it was dreadful..  so at least yours seem more encouraging

#5 spendleb

spendleb

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

View Postlesterf, on 20 November 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

This is a bit more encouranging.. I am seeing it in London and I only know 1 person who saw it in Manchester and they left at the interval and said it was dreadful..  so at least yours seem more encouraging

One of our friends didn't overly enjoy it but again she was wanting a more traditional musical with a storyline, just go and experience it and if you can listen to the soundtrack first, it is really one of the best shows I have seen.

#6 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Saw it in Dublin 2 weeks ago. Really didn't know what to expect but overall enjoyed it. I stopped trying to follow whatever the storyline was and just concentrated on the music. Place was almost empty. Around 200 people in a theatre that seats over 2,100. They ended up giving away the tickets, so I was lucky to see it for free. :)

#7 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3361 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:21 PM

funny some venues sold well and some really didny

#8 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:05 AM

I couldn't see what the fuss was about! Whilst the cast are uniformly excellent the show itself is weak, and feels 10 years out of date!
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#9 lucylucy

lucylucy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:00 PM

I saw this in Manchester the other night.  I am usually open minded and optimistic about all things theatre, but found this absolutely horrendous.  Im actually a Green Day fan too but couldnt get in to this at all.  Some of the scenes were laugh out loud awful - (I'm looking at you flying in the air hospital scene) - and the story non-existant.  

I went with an open mind, and had I not been with an uber-fan friend would have left in the interval. The theatre was very quiet on the friday too, we wee told we could move seats to where ever we fancied in our area too!

#10 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:01 PM

Saw this last night at the awful Apollo Hammersmith. Despite the venue, I loved the show. I saw it on Broadway a couple of times and was really looking forward to seeing it again. The touring cast are easily as good those I saw on Broadway. Such an energetic show. My only real criticism was why add an interval? It works much better with no break. Must be the venues wanting to make a bit of money from beer sales. I was really surprised at how empty the theatre was. I'm pretty sure that ticketmaster was showing it as nearly full when I booked my tickets 6+ months ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users