19 replies to this topic

#11 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:37 PM

What's the running time for this by the way?

#12 HammerToFall

HammerToFall

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:42 PM

About 2 hours including interval.

#13 Steve

Steve

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

The show started dead on 7:30 and finished just before 9:30. There is a 20 minute interval.

#14 vertigo1

vertigo1

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

Best new musical of the past 10 years, easily. I dont know why people are finding the narrative so hard, it's very simple, the story is actually one of hope in the end, i thought it was stunning. The Sept 11th moment gave me chills and 21 Guns was one of the best things i have ever heard in the theatre

#15 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:03 PM

I saw this a few hours ago.

Totally lost in the Hammersmith Apollo and the circle was barely half full.

I do take issue with this.....why choose to stage a show in a venue they simply cannot sell out. The show had a run on Broadway but was not even a capacity filler in much smaller theatre there.

It was like a bad pop concert but with inferior lighting (simply too much strobing).

For some reason it reminded me of "Hair" and "Spring Awakening".

Too badly executed for a concert and not good enough for a musical, some of the individual songs were excellent and performed really well but there was a lack of narrative and no development of characters (it could have been anyone singing the songs onstage).

But overall I am still totally perplexed at the choice of venue more than anything else.....

#16 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

I'm sure it wasn't planned to not sell out. It's on a nationwide tour visiting No.1 theatres for a week at a time and I can't think of any other London theatres which are programmed like that except Richmond which is too small.

#17 Rooster Byron

Rooster Byron

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

I was really disappointed with this show, the venue wasn't right for it, it was all set way too far back. The show lacked any form of subtlety or charm and felt brash, vulgar and aggressive. The story was awful, the cast were talented but played everything up to 11, the songs were great (obviously, it's a brilliant album) and the choreography brilliant when it worked but repetitive. Such a let down.

#18 Mark_E

Mark_E

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2345 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:52 AM

Enjoyed this last night. However it felt so lost at the Apollo, didn't help that the performance area was set right back so that even being only 10 rows back I felt slightly disconnected. They would have been much better off doing a two month run at somewhere like the Adelphi in town.

#19 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1249 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

Agree that this was lost in the Apollo, and that the book lacks any subtlety, but I still really enjoyed it! In fact, I properly loved it, and left the theatre with a big smile on my face.

I'm not usually all that fussed by dancing in musicals, but I thought it worked incredibly well here, actually telling the story along with the music. Obviously said story is best described as abstract, almost impressionistic, but I think that worked rather well with the music - the album itself is rather a bizarre mix.

#20 JennLaFleur

JennLaFleur

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • Interests:Travelling!

Posted 18 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

Sorry for the bump, but just wanted to say that I saw the musical in Dublin back in November and thought it was brilliant.

Now, I'm a huuuge Green Day fan, they're my favourite band, but that actually lowered my expectations for this - a bunch of other people singing their songs made me rather skeptical over whether I'd actually be able to enjoy it. But it turns out I did - for a musical based on an album (and where the producer had insisted on having all the tracks from the album in order) the story wasn't bad - cheesy and cliche, maybe, but then it's a musical :P The album itself has its own story which the musical expands on, and for me, it gave a lot of the songs a new meaning which was really cool. The energy of the cast was amazing - I spent the entire first song grinning like a loon because the energy was so infectious. The choreography is great too, it was 'messy' but fitted with the songs and attitude of the music.
The vocals were fantastic - 21 Guns in particular gave me chills, it was that good. The harmonies!

I'm rather sad I only saw it the once - I saw the last show in Dublin, and if I'd known how good it was I'd have probably booked a second one. I'm sure seeing Green Day in London in a few months will ease the pain though :P haha!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users