#1 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

http://www.telegraph...horus-line.html

I wonder where? Could Hannah Waddington play another Catherine? :)

The other musical that is mentioned could it be Gypsy?

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#2 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

Chichester (Minerva space), director Richard Eyre, with Joanna Riding and Hadley Fraser I believe.

#3 Minsky

Minsky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:59 PM

Eugene McCoy as Pres, Peter Polycarpou with Alexis Owen Hobbs as Glad

#4 TBFL

TBFL

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:06 PM

I love Joanna Riding, but really dont like The Pajama Game....  that nail in the coffin was Simon Callow's production at the Apollo Vic... DISASTER!

#5 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:52 PM

View PostTBFL, on 30 November 2012 - 08:06 PM, said:

I love Joanna Riding, but really dont like The Pajama Game....  that nail in the coffin was Simon Callow's production at the Apollo Vic... DISASTER!

agreed. i worked at Birmingham Rep at the time (the theatre the production originated from) it was an interesting time and it got quite a few gasps when it's West End transfer was announced <_<

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#6 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1409 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:02 PM

The recent Broadway revival was well received, I think the the last West End revival was at the Victoria Palace,

#7 Emsworthian

Emsworthian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 09:56 AM

I caught a preview of this yesterday and loved it. There is a low key start with no overture and just someone wandering on stage with the lights half up.  The scene soon converts into the factory.

Joanna Riding is certainly accomplished as Babe, although I still love Doris Day in the role in the film version.  Hadley Fraser is far better than John Raitt in the film (not difficult many would think).  Not taking anything away from the leads, for me the stars were Peter Polycarpou as Vernon Hines, Alexis Owen-Hobbs as Gladys and Claire Machin as Mabel.  The comedy routine between Hines and Mabel in "I'll Never Be Jealous Again" had the audience in stitches.

The "Steam Heat" number was terrific with jets of steam shooting up from the floor and the "Hernando's Hideaway" nightclub scene was great.  Everyone I spoke to during the interval and afterwards said that they enjoyed it. I spotted Richard Eyre in the foyer afterwards, no doubt checking out the final previews before press night on Monday.

If anyone is thinking of going, then I'd advise them to get on with it as the tickets are selling out fast.

#8 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:00 AM

The set looks really impressive for such a small space. Looking forward to seeing it next month

#9 FrontRowDress

FrontRowDress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:23 AM

Hey Emsworthian, we were there yesterday too. I agree with every word you say. It is a wonderful production of a fantastic show brimming with great songs. Surely a transfer must be an option. Out and out raving on the blog http://www.frontrowd...er-minerva.html

#10 mrtheatre123

mrtheatre123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

View PostTitan, on 28 April 2013 - 10:00 AM, said:

The set looks really impressive for such a small space. Looking forward to seeing it next month

Where did you see pics of the set? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users