#21 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 02:56 PM

View PostMinsky, on 30 April 2013 - 07:58 AM, said:

I had a couple of big Kissy Kissy  with the divine PPas we left.  He and Alexis Owen Hobbs were so funny and their comic timing  and compatability was great, as was the smouldering tension between the Babe and Sid. I loved the song and dance routines and in such a small theatre space, you almost felt part of the crowd in Hernandos Hideaway. (What were they on?). Every member of the ensemble was a distinct character  especially the wonderful Sophia Nomvete.. Seam Heat showcased the very best of British Dance and Choreography for me and I won't spoil the enjoyment of that number, but I was jumping!!
Deserved it's standing ovation.

Hernando's Hideaway was just superb, I let out a huge snort of laughter at one point (totally inappropriate but couldn't help it).  Wonderful to see Eugene McCoy & Dan Burton together again, I thought Eugene was hilarious from start to finish.

Regarding a transfer, I'd love to see it happen, but wont it be Barnum that will get pushed into London? It always seems to be the Festival Theatre (I know there isn't one atm) productions that get the West End transfers, or would both going be an option?

#22 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3363 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:05 PM

Look at Sweeney and Singin In The Rain.  Both from the same year, Sweeney was the one that was always going to be the big transfer and had the big names etc.  Then SITR transferred too, and many thought it wasnt such a great move (especially after the Crazy For You flop) and was actually a bigger hit, and Sweeney struggled, even in its limited run.

#23 FrontRowDress

FrontRowDress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 03:44 PM

Charles Spencer loved it and gave it 4 stars (it's behind a paywall though)
http://www.telegraph...ter-review.html

Just a reminder that I gave it a rip-roaring 5 stars http://www.frontrowd...er-minerva.html

#24 FrontRowDress

FrontRowDress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 372 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 06:15 PM

5 stars from Michael Billington in the Guardian http://www.guardian....ama-game-review

#25 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:03 PM

View PostTitan, on 30 April 2013 - 03:05 PM, said:

Look at Sweeney and Singin In The Rain.  Both from the same year, Sweeney was the one that was always going to be the big transfer and had the big names etc.  Then SITR transferred too, and many thought it wasnt such a great move (especially after the Crazy For You flop) and was actually a bigger hit, and Sweeney struggled, even in its limited run.

Totally forgot they were the same year.  Yeah I see your point :)

#26 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 07:16 PM

View PostFrontRowDress, on 30 April 2013 - 06:15 PM, said:

5 stars from Michael Billington in the Guardian http://www.guardian....ama-game-review

A very rare 5* too. Possibly the first he's given this year.

#27 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1386 posts

Posted 30 April 2013 - 09:37 PM

What kind of theatre would be able to hold the Pajama Game if it were to transfer, I imagine one of the playhouses like The Vaudevile or Duke of Yorks of they want to transfer in the Autumn.

#28 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:09 PM

May is turning out to be a very good month for me theatre wise. And this just made it even better.

Firstly, I'm amazed that this show is not done more often, or indeed better known. It's hit after hit after hit, and whilst the plot isn't the greatest on earth, it's surprisingly relevant.  And this is an utterly charming production. Tim Hatley's design is one of the most ambitious I've seen in the Minerva, yet manages to make the space feel bigger than it is, and doesn't over clutter or overshadow the piece itself.

It's a big cast, too, which allows Stephen Mear to really show off his choreography. 'Once a Year Day' is simply sensational, as is 'Steam Heat' with its jets of steam firing up from the floor.

This also confirms how underused Joanna RIding was in Lend Me a Tenor. She is surely one of our best musical theatre actresses, and Hadley Fraser, who I'd not seen before, is equally good. And there's great support from Claire Machin and Peter Polycarpou in particular.

I'd love to see it transfer, but will it? I'm not so sure. It's sold out in Chichester, but if you spot a return online, it's well worth the trip. Especially if you're sitting in the front row as I was, where they're dancing over you.

After The Dark Earth and the Light Sky and Quartermaine's Terms, and now this, Richard Eyre is the director of the year for me. I look forward to Liola  and Ghosts later this summer.

#29 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3363 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 12:51 PM

Im hoping to see it, couldnt go due to illness and now its sold out. Odds are slim though as nothing online

#30 Minsky

Minsky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 01:45 PM

With Let It Be extending, I don't see PJ coming in this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users