145 replies to this topic

#51 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1300 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 09:31 PM

I'm pretty secure in my knowledge its not happening!

#52 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 10:09 PM

View PostJamiem, on 01 July 2013 - 08:21 PM, said:

There is a big difference, there really are only five or six proper producers

Some shows like Spring Awakening had 20-30 producers, on Broadway that's not uncommon. It's rare to have shows produced by just 1-2 producers. Even Book of Mormon and Wicked had 5 or so producers.

#53 Jamiem

Jamiem

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 630 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 04:50 AM

View PostJon, on 01 July 2013 - 10:09 PM, said:

Some shows like Spring Awakening had 20-30 producers, on Broadway that's not uncommon. It's rare to have shows produced by just 1-2 producers. Even Book of Mormon and Wicked had 5 or so producers.

Jon they aren't real producers, they are investors who have put in a significant amount of money in order to get billing and call them selves producers
The title 'producer'  is bandied round endlessly and incorrctly and most people in pj's bar and grill claim they are one

#54 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 09:46 AM

Genuine question:- Now that the NT and RSC have shaped up to successfully produce some of their own commercial transfers, so as to financially benefit from the profits of exploiting their original home productions, might they develop into commercial producers of shows which they didn't originally produce or co-produce? For example, might the NT and RSC compete with wholly commercial producers to produce a commercial transfer of a Menier Chocolate Factory or Sheffield Theatres or CFT show?

#55 Minsky

Minsky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 02 July 2013 - 09:46 AM, said:

Genuine question:- Now that the NT and RSC have shaped up to successfully produce some of their own commercial transfers, so as to financially benefit from the profits of exploiting their original home productions, might they develop into commercial producers of shows which they didn't originally produce or co-produce? For example, might the NT and RSC compete with wholly commercial producers to produce a commercial transfer of a Menier Chocolate Factory or Sheffield Theatres or CFT show?

Didn't they do something a while back, when they brought the Leicester Haymarket version of "Singin in the Rain" into the Nat for the Christmas season.

#56 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1026 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 01:18 PM

View PostMinsky, on 02 July 2013 - 12:43 PM, said:

Didn't they do something a while back, when they brought the Leicester Haymarket version of "Singin in the Rain" into the Nat for the Christmas season.

It was the West Yorkshire Playhouse production of Rain and I think it was brought in out of necessity due to the Villain’s Opera and various others not selling in the Olivier – although I could be totally wrong …

The Olivier is a big and odd space for shows to transfer in easily. I wish London had a decent base for regional transfers. Time limited runs awaye from the commercial glare of the West End would do very nicely for Sheffield’s recent My fair lady and other gems.  I feel the Barbican would be ideal but as isn’t Croatian mime theatre then it’s not welcome!

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#57 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 02 July 2013 - 02:20 PM

View PostJamiem, on 02 July 2013 - 04:50 AM, said:

Jon they aren't real producers, they are investors who have put in a significant amount of money in order to get billing and call them selves producers
The title 'producer'  is bandied round endlessly and incorrctly and most people in pj's bar and grill claim they are one

A producer to me is someone like Cameron, Sonia Friedman etc who are involved in the process of making the show along with the creatives as well as raising the money to put the show on.

#58 Minsky

Minsky

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 01:56 PM

Just thought I would bring this up the bill in anticipation..............................

#59 Mack Sennett

Mack Sennett

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 01 December 2013 - 11:11 PM

Saw this in Chichester and would happily see it again at the Shaftesbury. Wonder if the same leads will be in it? Unlikely to feature Jo Riding who will be busy in Stephen Ward of course...

#60 craftymiss

craftymiss

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 02 December 2013 - 01:27 AM

I hope Eugene is in it, I thought he was superb and Polycarpou was hilarious

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users