#21 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

View PostPharaoh, on 01 December 2012 - 10:52 AM, said:

Ah, it was only £10... don't fancy going out into the cold. Stay at home and watch TV instead.

Maybe they were the corporate seats Barclay's got as part of the deal - empty in the same way the corporate Olympic seats were.

Sounds like a grim evening - "The brilliant Young Vic Hamlet was set in a mental hospital so let's set this one in a prison and people may be fooled into thinking I'm a good director too !"

#22 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 11:24 AM

In the 1980s, as an emerging director, Phyllida Lloyd set her mainstage Everyman Theatre Cheltenham A Midsummer Night's Dream in outer space. Very shortly after the end of the run, she publicly stated that it had seemed like a good idea at the time but she now realised that it was a silly idea to dream up a concrete "concept" and then hammer a play into a shape to fit it and she would never do it again.

Now she has dreamt up a concrete framing concept and set this production in a women's prison but maybe her prisoners actually putting on the Shakespeare play have the gumption to play it straight.

When this all-female show was announced, I was pleased to read that the reason was to provide women actors with good roles and that the all-femaleness wouldn't be a feature of a directorial concept. The eventual framing approach may work well but it seems to me that it can only be used once or twice before it becomes stale and repetetive. After that, all-female productions will have to be played straight, without a frame.

#23 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 08:55 PM

Hope it is better than the Mental institution Hamlet at Young Vic which I didn't like at all. Concepts are often a bit risky but I did like the Stalinist Macbeth with Patrick Stewart. I'm picky.

#24 AnnieInTheStalls

AnnieInTheStalls

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 09:31 PM

Well I loved the Young Vic Hamlet, and I really liked this, so maybe that's a good guide. Epicoene, I wouldn't waste your money on this, as I'm 99.9% sure you'd hate it.

#25 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:13 AM

View PostAnnieInTheStalls, on 02 December 2012 - 09:31 PM, said:

Well I loved the Young Vic Hamlet, and I really liked this, so maybe that's a good guide. Epicoene, I wouldn't waste your money on this, as I'm 99.9% sure you'd hate it.

I haven't. After she managed to direct the worst Shakespeare production the NT has ever staged I've been very wary of pre-booking any of her shows.

The Young Vic Hamlet doesn't belong in the same discussion really as the hospital wasn't a framing device but an integral part of the production. Odd she would use a framing device to try to explain the all-female cast to the hip, right-on (I use those dated phrases advisedly) Donmar audience - it smacks a bit of insecurity - and it is suggesting that this is not gender-neutral casting at all but an active exercise in poitive discrimination (as HG notes also). Were there any men in the audience ? Why ? .

#26 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

This sounds like fun....I like fun. I have tickets for £10 front row. New audience....no chance! :ph34r:

#27 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:58 PM

Well done! You like the system now, eh?

#28 Beth

Beth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

Finally worked for me too, and several minutes past 10 at that, though I was just testing to see if the Donmar have finally sorted out the glitches.  I actually got instructions showing up on the screen, instead of constant errors.  Now I just have to hope it still works when there's a date I can do!

#29 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5150 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

View PostLatecomer, on 03 December 2012 - 12:33 PM, said:

This sounds like fun....I like fun. I have tickets for £10 front row. New audience....no chance! :ph34r:
I should employ you to book for me. I'm incapable of getting the right time etc to book in this way. Well done you. Let us know who is sharing the front row with you.

#30 art87

art87

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:22 PM

I was also (finally) successful on the new front row tickets system this morning (on a webpage that seemed to look completely different to last week). I still had a couple of minutes where I couldn't get the "buy tickets here" link to appear while I was furiously refreshing and opening new tabs. Surely the countdown should get to zero and then the link should appear automatically and instantly.

Anyway, I got centre stalls seats for the night I wanted so I can't really complain. Though I am slightly perturbed that one of my pair of tickets (stalls A15) doesn't seem to be listed on any seating plan I can find, but I live in hope!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users