#61 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:23 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 06 December 2012 - 11:03 AM, said:

So, terrible then, with reduced depth seats and bolt upright backrests and people with standing tickets shuffling around behind you.

I've had seats upstairs at the Donmar many times in many different parts of the circle. I don't remember ever being uncomfortable or annoyed by people in front of me (or shuffling behind me, for that matter). Just lucky, I guess.

#62 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:13 PM

You can always tap people and ask them politely not to do it. I've never found it a problem either but then I have approximately 0.0001% of the audience problems that the average WOSer has.

#63 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:57 AM

View Postarmadillo, on 06 December 2012 - 01:13 PM, said:

You can always tap people and ask them politely not to do it.

Why would you want to do that ? That's just their way of enjoying the theatre and yet you want to stop them ? Please refer me to the exact clause in the programme that says people with standing places are not allowed to shuffle.

#64 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:57 AM

View PostEpicoene, on 07 December 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

Why would you want to do that ? That's just their way of enjoying the theatre and yet you want to stop them ? Please refer me to the exact clause in the programme that says people with standing places are not allowed to shuffle.

Weren't you the one complaining how it annoyed you? Are you just deliberately antagonistic on here?

#65 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

View PostEpicoene, on 07 December 2012 - 08:57 AM, said:

I actually have no problem with standing people shuffling or leaning on the back of my seat. I was referring to people leaning forward - I've been guilty of this and not realised I was blocking someone's view so was fine about being asked to desist. Though I'm baffled as to how quickly you changed your mind about the acceptability of standers moving :blink:

#66 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

Not quite sure what to make of this. The concept doesn't entirely work- there are flaws, but if one accepts them, then it's very well done. Superb transformation of the space by Bunny Christie- opens the Donmar right up, with high walkways where prison guards watch over. Some strong performances: Cush Jumbo an excellent Mark Anthony. She's an actress who is fast becoming one of my favourites. I wasn't grabbed by her in She Stoops (it was the production/play which turned me off), but she was excellent in Fred's Diner at Chichester this Summer, and she's as good in this. Jenny Jules v strong, as ever. Frances Barber an odd, though compelling, Caesar. Harriet Walter had some brilliant moments, but it was a little hit and miss. It felt like they were trying to disguise the fact she was a woman- short, slick backed hair, masculine clothes. Didn't like the doubling of Clare Dunne as Portia/Octavius. Soothsayer suitably creepy.

Loved the end- won't spoil it, but it's a v clever little twist. Lloyd's taken liberties. She adds modern dialogue and swear words. Necessary for the concept, I s'pose.The play felt v quick. The no interval trick works well, and it's such a shame they put the interval back in in the RSC Caesar in the West End, for bar takings' sake. That suffered because of that.

#67 RH1234

RH1234

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 10:08 AM

Got Barclays tickets this morning! Never has a ticket booking been so hyper... still would have preferred the Donmar Discovery scheme though!

#68 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

Has there been anyone standing at the Donmar under the new regime?  Don't think I've seen anyone.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#69 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 01:36 PM

There were 3 folks standing when I was there for JC, but they all got moved downstairs to take up the unclaimed Front Row Seats, which were front row stalls forward facing. There were 6 empties, so 3 left even after the standees had moved in. Many empty seats dotted about elsewhere too- circle and stalls. Seems people are getting these £10 FR seats and thinking that if they can't make it, it's no great loss.

#70 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:37 PM

View Postdude-1981, on 17 December 2012 - 01:10 PM, said:

Has there been anyone standing at the Donmar under the new regime?  Don't think I've seen anyone.

There were 10 or so when I went, and they didnt move them to empty seats, even though there was more than enough room. Glad to hear theyve gone back to doing that since.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users