#81 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

View Postmallardo, on 17 January 2013 - 06:38 PM, said:

I don't know whether it was simply the fact that women were playing the roles but I found myself emotionally involved in a way I have never been with this work.  The few moments of tenderness - Portia's magical musical reappearance to Brutus, e.g. - were so powerful in this setting.  Really, the play was transformed for me.
Yeah that might have been partly it for me, I probably find it perhaps sucked me in emotionally more than usual, interesting thought.

#82 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:02 PM

Saw this this afternoon. Julius Caesar is a play I have somehow managed to neither see nor read, so I must confess I found it a little tricky to keep track of who was who, and the switch from play to setting and back again was a bit disconcerting.

On the whole I really enjoyed it, though. I thought the woman playing Brutus was terrific, she really drew me into it. The setting worked in a really interesting way and sent me away thinking.

#83 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Very trivial point, but was it full?  I was going to go and queue for a return, assuming people would be snowed away from London, before realising I was snowed away myself.

#84 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 07:51 PM

There were about 6 empty seats in the front stalls and a couple in the sides, which they upgraded standing people to.

#85 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

It's that new audience...they are so disorganised they can't be bothered to go...or perhaps they just forget? I still like the "super-efficient to the point of control freak" old audience....

#86 Stevemar

Stevemar

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:31 PM

View PostLatecomer, on 19 January 2013 - 09:29 PM, said:

It's that new audience...they are so disorganised they can't be bothered to go...or perhaps they just forget? I still like the "super-efficient to the point of control freak" old audience....

I was also there this afternoon. Perhaps as I was in the Stalls, I actually didn't notice any empty seats - I did have a look round particularly in view of the comments here about people not turning up. It was a noticeably younger audience than the usual matinee crowd. Also, due to the seating and loudness, less snoozers than usual!

#87 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

View PostLatecomer, on 19 January 2013 - 09:29 PM, said:

Only two of them were front row seats, and it did seem like a younger and more diverse audience than usual, so I presume it was the oldies who daren't leave their houses in the snow who couldn't make it.

There was serious transport disruption due to snow and it's a no latecomers admitted show with no interval. Of course some people won't have made it in time.

#88 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 20 January 2013 - 05:58 PM

so how young is this younger new audience the donmar might be getting out of interest? One of the wonderful things about theatre is that it is possible to feel young whilst not being particularly so as there is a well establised older audience, though I appreicate that doesn't guarantee the longitivity of theatre.

#89 Kathryn2

Kathryn2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1255 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:24 AM

The girl sitting next to me was chatting with her (older) companion about applying to drama school. Her companion was telling her about the Young Vic Hamlet. There were also definitely some drama students in - heard them chatting about their course in the queue for the ladies.

Of course, in a theatre as small as the Donmar having a bunch of drama students in suddenly makes the audience seem much younger (and more diverse). At the likes of The National you don't notice them among the sea of grey!

#90 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

View PostKathryn2, on 21 January 2013 - 08:24 AM, said:

Of course, in a theatre as small as the Donmar having a bunch of drama students in suddenly makes the audience seem much younger (and more diverse). At the likes of The National you don't notice them among the sea of grey!

The same thing happened at the Thursday matinee at the Orange Tree last week:  you don't usually see anyone really young and I'm used to seeming the youngest by far, so even one teenager or twenty-something would stand out.  However, on this occasion there was a whole row filled by what turned out to be American drama students, who therefore attracted almost as much attention during the interval as did the play itself before and after!  And they joined in with the post-show discussion, which was great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users