80 replies to this topic

#1 paultheatre

paultheatre

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 12:55 PM

On the main website today. Evans & Hancock!

#2 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:41 PM

Terrence Davies had repeatedly claimed he was going to do Uncle Vanya at the Wyndhams at the end of next year, but that's a claim only he seemed to make.  Clearly not true, which is a shame - after the slighly unsatisfactory one and the good if silly Russian one, it'd be nice to see it again and I'm sure he'd do a good job.  This might be good - I can't tell if it looks like a sly parody of two genres of if it'll just be a soap, basically.

#3 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:49 PM

Well this is a surprise.
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#4 theatreliker

theatreliker

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 09:01 PM

This expected to be any good? Selling well anyway as you can imagine. Is the Wyndham's done up yet?
2014 theatre: Blithe Spirit (Gielgud)  Booked: Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Savoy)  Waterbabies (Curve)  View from the Bridge (Young Vic)  Birdland (Royal Court).

#5 musicalmadness

musicalmadness

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 737 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:29 PM

View Posttheatreliker, on 02 September 2013 - 09:01 PM, said:

This expected to be any good? Selling well anyway as you can imagine. Is the Wyndham's done up yet?

Walked passed the Wynham's tonight and the Relatively Speaking marquee is still there. First preview Friday...wonder when they'll start! Must only take a day, if that. It's not a huge marquee like the Palace, for example.
Somebody crowd me with love, somebody force me to care.
Somebody make me come through, I'll always be there as frightened as you of being alive.

#6 alec_e10

alec_e10

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:10 AM

It sounds fun and I love Sheila Hancock but I really cannot stand Lee Evans in any shape or form so will be giving this a wide berth.
2 hours of watching a man frantically running around the stage soaked in sweat - No ta!

#7 ROT

ROT

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:34 AM

I'm always suspicious of a play when it's nearly impossible to find the name of the writer or director on any of the publicity material.

#8 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 12:12 PM

View Postalec_e10, on 03 September 2013 - 08:10 AM, said:

It sounds fun and I love Sheila Hancock but I really cannot stand Lee Evans in any shape or form so will be giving this a wide berth.
2 hours of watching a man frantically running around the stage soaked in sweat - No ta!

I saw Lee Evans playing it straight, so to speak, in Pinter's The Dumb Waiter, at the Trafalgar Studios a few years ago - and he was very very good.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#9 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 10:37 PM

No - not a particular fan of Lee Evans either but he was great in The Producers at Drury Lane. He won me over.

#10 KevinUK

KevinUK

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:51 AM

Saw this last night and its decent enough. Lots of laughter, and potential for more if they get their comedic timing right. Excessive use of bad language, and a plot worthy of Only Fools And Horses (best comparison I can think of), but an enjoyable evening all the same.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users