If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#3 Ian

Ian

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 824 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, cats and photography principally.

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:50 PM

Contrived.
The engine roared, the motor hissed,
And who could see that the road would twist

#4 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

Wasn't blown away by this but the sight of Henry Pettigrew in his undercrackers was worth the admission alone.

#5 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:37 PM

Undercrackers?
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#6 drmaplewood

drmaplewood

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:04 AM

I only just learnt that this is based on the excellent film 'Humpday' so am very curious to see it.

#7 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

This was another one (same week as Dark Earth and Light Sky) that I left at the interval.

I must say (appreciating this came from another theatre first after a brief run and is based on a film) that the Bush is not very good with their new writing. I am often disappointed by plays here.

The characters are totally unbelievable and it is just not that funny.

The premise of the two male characters having sex is also rather unconvincing onstage.

I thought the whole endeavour was a bit of a waste of time.

#8 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:28 AM

This is the first review I've read which was not only not enthusiastic but actually negative, so very interesting for me personally, particularly as I've just seen the play!  Despite my almost-shocking record for leaving at the interval (especially this year, alas), I neither did so nor, fortunately, felt tempted.  However, I certainly didn't agree with the wholehearted raves I had previously read and felt there were several significant flaws.  For instance, the structure is very uneven, with an over-long first act and relatively short second one, and one of the four cast members (two male, two female) appears in the first act only, which seems wasteful. I also felt the ending was rather sudden, inconclusive and therefore (no pun intended) unsatisfying.  It's one thing not to spell everything out but to leave things so open and up-in-the-air tends too much to the opposite direction for my taste.  I wouldn't say the characters were totally unbelievable but they weren't sufficiently convincing, either; nor was the way they were shown relating to each other.  That said, I do like to see new writing, I do like the Bush (apart from the usual wretched scrum ubiquitous at all theatres with unreserved seating) and this was one of the more appealing and (again, apologies) apparently straightforward productions in their current season, whereas the next, for instance, sounds too experimental for me.

#9 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:57 PM

I think one of the reasons I found this so funny was because I'm very close in age to the author.  I've started to put a bit of stock in this lately.  For instance I like the sitcom New Girl and again the actors are playing characters my age and I get all the references. There was a bit in Straight for example where one of the actors quoted the theme tune to the Fresh Prince and I found it hilarious.  I may have been the only person who laughed at that, but it was exactly the sort of thing I might do myself.

Could the Bush not do zoned seating at least?  Yellow from the middle seating, red for the left, blue for the right?  Choose when you book?
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

Also tagged with Bush

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users