Grandage Season: Play 1

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#21 Becky La Rou

Becky La Rou

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Wine and theatre and show tunes and..oh yes..wine!

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

I am maybe a bit put off by the comments here but I really want to see SRB do his thing in POP... The show pics look great and a friend has described it as "like a carry on film set in the war" ...anyone find this to be an accurate description? I read Charles Spencer's review and it fills me with some hope that he liked it (although we don't always see eye to eye!)

I am looking to get tickets in February but all sites I find are a bit pricey (Eg this one is selling top price ticks for £70!..not so cheap now!) I am assuming all £10 tickets have been snapped up, but does anyone know anywhere I can get one around the £30 mark?

Cheers :)
One Singular Sensation....! :wub:

#22 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 03:57 PM

"I am assuming all £10 tickets have been snapped up, but does anyone know anywhere I can get one around the £30 mark?"

Have a look on Delfont Mackintosh's website. The 5th Feb, for example, has plenty of £20 upper circle seats available as well as the bargain side view £20 pairs in A and B row of the dress. I sat in the high number B row Dress Circle £20 seats when I saw it, you miss pretty much nothing. Worth it.

#23 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 04:14 PM

And it has dayseats.

#24 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

View PostBecky La Rou, on 12 December 2012 - 03:47 PM, said:

I am maybe a bit put off by the comments here but I really want to see SRB do his thing in POP... The show pics look great and a friend has described it as "like a carry on film set in the war" ...anyone find this to be an accurate description? I read Charles Spencer's review and it fills me with some hope that he liked it (although we don't always see eye to eye!)

I am looking to get tickets in February but all sites I find are a bit pricey (Eg this one is selling top price ticks for £70!..not so cheap now!) I am assuming all £10 tickets have been snapped up, but does anyone know anywhere I can get one around the £30 mark?

Cheers :)
The Carry On comparison is pretty accurate - Peter Nicholls was actually in the same troupe as Stanley Baxter and Kenneth Williams and it's no coincidence that It Ain't Half Hot Mum started just after the original run. Is it sold out on the official site? You won't get cheaper than that, I suspect.

#25 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 06:49 PM

Darker than Carry On. I wouldn't take kids.

#26 gandalf

gandalf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

Felt a bit dated to me but came alive every time SRB on stage

Not sold out so moved forward from my £10 seat to good one - result!

#27 vickster51

vickster51

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 409 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 01:04 AM

Saw this tonight and still deciding what I think of it! It was an enjoyable night out but nothing very memorable for me once you get used to SRB in drag! I agree that he carries it and the others aren't at his level and the 5* reviews surprise me. I also think the carry on analogy is pretty accurate (I wasn't familiar with the play beforehand).

We had two seats on the back row of the stalls and all of our row was upgraded to front stalls, meaning we ended up in row H! It seemed as though about the back 4 rows (as well as the very back row we'd been in) were empty tonight.

#28 theatrefan777

theatrefan777

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:53 PM

Got 2 spare tickets in Stalls for tomorrow matinee. They are £10 each.  Please see Ticket Exchange section if interested.

#29 VDCNI

VDCNI

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

Saw this Wednesday and enjoyed it as a fun night but don't see why it got 5 star raves, SRB made this very entertaining but when he wasn't on stage it lacked something. The song and dance stuff and the comedy worked well but when it got serious it wasn't as convincing - very much like a musical actually.

I must be a lot taller than Lynette though, end of row C as well and no problems seeing everything, thought they were great seats actually.

#30 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

Saw this last night and I too am puzzled by the 5 star reviews, they must have been seduced by SRB's butt cheeks. I had fun, but the play is really showing its age. I think Grandage should have just gone the whole hog and put on a panto with SRB as the dame. As usual more on my blog http://www.frontrowd...rd-theatre.html
www.frontrowdress.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users