74 replies to this topic

#31 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 12:20 PM

I wonder if they couldn't get anyone to write a panto. A gift I would have thought with all the satire possible this year. And the Olympic theme. I do feel a bit gratified that people here agree with me that the reviews are over adoring. I love SRB as everyone knows but here he carries it and seems a lot like hard work.

#32 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 11:18 PM

Found this one to be a bit of a dud to be honest and am really surprised by the five star reviews. The whole piece felt extremely tired and dated fell completely flat when SRB was not on stage and I didn't find it particularly funny. Being a midweek matinee I was surrounded by the blue rinse brigade, many of whom were shocked at the language with audible gasps and quite a few who did not return at the interval.
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#33 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

View PostLynette, on 23 December 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

I wonder if they couldn't get anyone to write a panto.

I think Poppy would have been a far more interesting Peter Nichols revival than Privates on Parade (which Grandage revived a decade or so ago anyway).

#34 The Glenbuck Laird

The Glenbuck Laird

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 07:48 PM

Got day tickets Saturday, even disappointed with this with a very good Royal Circle £10 seat. Doubt I will ever see anything as bad with Simon Russell Beale in it again, ever. And there was one of those incredibly annoying people sitting on my row. Come on identify yourself, I know you are on WoS. Time to name and shame. Seat H17 Royal Circle Saturday Matinee. You have a really annoying laugh. And the whooping everytime SRB came on stage meant I didn't even get that enjoyment. Very dated, poor, or lack of a storyline, racist and homophobic. Not for me this one.

#35 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 04:57 AM

View PostEpicoene, on 31 December 2012 - 10:44 AM, said:

I think Poppy would have been a far more interesting Peter Nichols revival than Privates on Parade (which Grandage revived a decade or so ago anyway).

Glad to see Poppy mentioned, as I'm sure I've said somewhere else here that I'd like to see it revived and that I'm puzzled by the fact that it appears to have been overlooked or rejected for so long.  As it is years since I saw it, it may be that it contains material which would now be considered unsuitable or dubious in the same way that Privates On Parade does (I cannot remember in that much detail), but it would be interesting to know why it has languished for so long in obscurity.  Poppy was (and remains) one of the few productions I saw twice, because after the first visit I raved so much about it that a friend said he would go if I would return as his guest.  And it was very panto-like (was that deliberate, even?) so would be ideal for the time of year, if not in other respects.

#36 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2534 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Which Poppy did you all see? The original one was generally perceived to be an RSC Barbican overblown waste of their subsidy but I think there was a subsequent revival mounted with far fewer resources at the Half Moon or Tricycle or somewhere similar which people found truer to its spirit.

#37 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1240 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 01 January 2013 - 02:35 PM, said:

Which Poppy did you all see? The original one was generally perceived to be an RSC Barbican overblown waste of their subsidy but I think there was a subsequent revival mounted with far fewer resources at the Half Moon or Tricycle or somewhere similar which people found truer to its spirit.

I saw the original after it had transferred to the West End which indicates that audiences liked it. Alfred Marks was in the transfer and was excellent in the panto-format. It was very clever and subversive and featured audience participation and manipulation to rival Dame Edna inducing us to laugh at and "participate" in some terrible atrocities from the days of Empire.

The RSC had staged a straightforward panto a few seasons before - The Swan Down Gloves ?

#38 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

I saw the original twice at the Barbican and, thinking back, I can remember snatches of song, particularly one of the dame's lines about "la nostalgie de la boue".  Maybe I overlooked the pared-down revival because it followed too swiftly upon the original to be of interest to me at the time, but I honestly don't recall knowing of it.  I'm now also missing seeing decent theatre at the Barbican, as although the location is a pain (depending on your location, obviously), I have fond memories of so many good productions there, both in the main house and the Pit.  It hasn't been the same for me since the RSC ceased to visit, though I've been back a few times for touring shows.

#39 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2534 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 03:19 PM

The Barbican would be mortified if anyone thought their programme were similar to the RSCs when they were resident there!

#40 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 05:43 PM

I saw an excellent revival of Poppy at the Landor a few years ago.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users