74 replies to this topic

#51 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:43 AM

I agree with the more positive posters above.  I thoroughly enjoyed it.  The casual racism and jingoism that seems to have offended some was portrayed for what it was - pathetic and anachronistic.  Grandage's staging of the ending put paid to all that in exactly the right way. I also didn't think the show died every time SRB left the stage.  All of the soldiers were neatly characterized and I genuinely cared about their individual fates.  Angus Wright's Graham Chapmanesque Major Flack was a hoot as was John Marquez's foul-mouthed Corporal Bonney.  If some of the singing and dancing was not West End calibre it was perfect for the context.  And SRB's take on Noel Coward (in the Noel Coward theatre) was priceless.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#52 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

I'm not 100% sure about whether the play itself was worth staging but i had a good time at this. Adored Simon Russell Beale and thought it was more than just surface ohh looks who's in a dress, there was depth to the role. Angus Wright as dependable as ever and some nice acting from some of the smaller roles, like Mallardo above I was bothered about what happened to everyone. Really enjoyed the musical numbers and was happily still humming several days later.

#53 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 897 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

Terrible news
http://www.thestage....e-dies-aged-41/

#54 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

I saw this on Tuesday...well I voiced my opinions on twitter, but needless to say I thought apart from SRB there was very little to like in this production - the cast seemed very lethargic almost to the point of not caring
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#55 Alf

Alf

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

View Postjaqs, on 17 January 2013 - 01:52 PM, said:

How awful. Had noticed that her understudy had been on since late December but never would've have suspected that. Thoughts are with her family and friends.
My occasionally neglected theatre blog: http://thegreatestof...blogspot.co.uk/
Latest post: Review: 'Blithe Spirit' at the Gielgud Theatre: http://thegreatestof...theatre_10.html

#56 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Awful - she was playing the role when I saw the production before Christmas and there was no sign that anything was wrong. Must be a terrible shock to everyone who knew her.

#57 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2079 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

Very sad.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#58 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

and so quick, makes you think about what matters. Hard going for the cast.

#59 DanielWhit

DanielWhit

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2293 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

View PostLaughingmonsta, on 17 January 2013 - 02:05 PM, said:

I saw this on Tuesday...well I voiced my opinions on twitter, but needless to say I thought apart from SRB there was very little to like in this production - the cast seemed very lethargic almost to the point of not caring

I hadn't ever seen PoP before this production - however I got the impression that was more the text feeling lazy/non-committed than the production itself.

#60 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Yes, this is a strong cast who seem to be giving it their all; the trouble is it's the material they have which means you don't really care for any of the characters - the most interesting of which is SRB's - and because of this, it feels as if it plods along. I do maintain that this is a very good production, but of a weak piece. The songs are great though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users