74 replies to this topic

#61 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Not sure I agree with " a very good production, but of a weak piece". I am old enough unfortunately to have seen Dennis Quilley in the original production and Roger Allam at the Donmar - 10 years ago apparantly although I thought it was more recent than that. On both previous occasions I was knocked out by the play but not on this occasion which I either put down to the production and the performances or the play has dated somewhat in its writing. Just could not put my finger on it - but was underwhelmed apart from the wonderful SRB of course!

#62 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

Yes, maybe I should've said dated rather than weak; I can see that sometime ago, it would have had more of an impact than it does now. Sadly the impact it has now is one of a different nature- rather than being shocked or moved, it's more an uneasiness with the views of the time.

#63 Ruperto

Ruperto

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 10:49 PM

I saw this last night and in the end I really enjoyed it - I laughed a lot, and found it very touching. Beautifully staged, and some good turns in addition to SRB's. However, it did take me a little while to sort of get 'comfortable' with it, if you know what I mean - at the beginning it seemed both very old-fashioned and in-your-face with the swearing, at the same time.

The theatre was far from full, which was a bit of a shame, I thought - but then it was a Monday night. However, it's got another month to go, hasn't it? I haven't noticed many ticket offers in the Metro newspaper etc - maybe I've missed them, or perhaps they haven't wanted to 'cheapen' their offering or imply they might be having difficulty shifting lots of tickets, by doing too many reductions?? If that's the case, I'm not sure it's a good strategy - it certainly wasn't the Marie Celeste in there, but it was a disappointing turnout for such a high-profile and critically acclaimed show.

Our stalls tickets were £57.50 each plus booking fee, which is a heck of a lot. We were due to be in row B but thanks to some of the comments on here about the high stage for this production, I asked if they could move us back a bit, and the box office staff happily put us into row D, which was much better. The stage really is very high, and it's a shocker that they're charging full price for the front row. I hope and assume that they'll go back to the normal stage height for the other 4 shows in this season...

#64 wickedgrin

wickedgrin

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1208 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 10:28 PM

I saw this from the Dress Circle - so was unaware of the stage height which is probably to accomodate the downpour of rain. So many shows and plays I have seen has this effect these days (and not just Singin in the Rain). Downpours on stage seem to be trendy!

#65 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • Interests:PJ and Duncan

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

Saw this this afternoon. After a woobley first 10 mins I very much enjoyed.  SRB obviously fabulous but I thought everyone involved were spot on and all had their moments.

My only gripe was the programme - 13 pages dedicated (more or less) to bloody Les Miserables! I understand the film has just come out and Dame Mackintosh owns the theatre but REALLY?!

I'm seeing the whole Grandage company season (£10 stall seats every show!) and if 'Cam' insists on keeping this up then the good ice cream sellers of the NoŽl Coward Theatre are going to have to get used to a disgruntled me tutting and announcing to anyone and everyone that I'm not here to see one of McDonalds screech fests

#66 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 891 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 11:06 PM

I so agree with you about the programme.  The man has no shame.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#67 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2075 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 08:53 AM

The programme is rubbish but has as much relevant information in it as the Donmar programmes, just padded with advertorial!
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#68 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:45 AM

At least there are a few production photos-  was quite impressed in seeing them less than a week into the run, when I saw it. Often - like at the Donmar - you have to wait a good month before they replace the not-so-interesting rehearsal pics.

But otherwise yes, it's just a big advert for Les Mis. As is the Quartermaine's Terms programme.

#69 TheatreMadGoer

TheatreMadGoer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:51 PM

Just a quick question, what time does  the evening show normally finish? As have stupidly booked the DreamThinkSpeak for 10.20 at Somerset House.

#70 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3742 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

10pm I think. Was 2hrs30 when I saw it in December.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users