#71 itsuckstobeme

itsuckstobeme

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:14 PM

View PostMrs Lovett, on 09 February 2013 - 09:44 PM, said:

Saw this this afternoon. After a woobley first 10 mins I very much enjoyed.  SRB obviously fabulous but I thought everyone involved were spot on and all had their moments.

My only gripe was the programme - 13 pages dedicated (more or less) to bloody Les Miserables! I understand the film has just come out and Dame Mackintosh owns the theatre but REALLY?!

I'm seeing the whole Grandage company season (£10 stall seats every show!) and if 'Cam' insists on keeping this up then the good ice cream sellers of the Noël Coward Theatre are going to have to get used to a disgruntled me tutting and announcing to anyone and everyone that I'm not here to see one of McDonalds screech fests

They must have changed the programme, the one I bought tonight only had one Les Mis advert, and lots of informative articles and features, I was quite impressed,

#72 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

The power of us!

#73 RedRose

RedRose

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:16 AM

They have changed the programme because of the unexpected death of the actress and the taking over by her understudy. Can you confirm that they put a dedication or something like that in the new programme, itsuckstobeme?
King Lear (NT), Twelve Angry Men (Garrick),  Mojo (Harold Pinter), Coriolanus (2x, Donmar), Henry V (Noel Coward), Strangers on a Train (Gielgud), Fortunes Fool (Old Vic), Punchdrunk's The Drowned Man (Temple Studios), Jeeves and Wooster (Duke of York's), 1984 (Almeida), Red Velvet (Tricycle), Bring up the Bodies (Swan), Wolf Hall (Swan), The Mistress Contract (Royal Court), Versailles (Donmar), Blithe Spirit (Guilgud), Jane Eyre (Bristol Old Vic)

#74 Max Von Mayerling

Max Von Mayerling

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 10:01 AM

View PostRedRose, on 03 March 2013 - 02:16 AM, said:

They have changed the programme because of the unexpected death of the actress and the taking over by her understudy. Can you confirm that they put a dedication or something like that in the new programme, itsuckstobeme?

RedRose, the programme's cast page dedicates the remaining performances to Sophiya Haque, and the website has carried a statement to the same effect.  The programme still picture Sophiya in the production photographs, which it labels as '2012 cast'.

I really enjoyed the final performance last night.  Beautifully designed and staged, and it really drew me in to the situation and relationships of the soldiers.  Simon Russell Beale was great, but strong performances and direction all round.  Really enjoyed the wit in the lyrics and staging of the songs - good melodies too.

The theatre programme has a variety of articles, yes advertorials really but a range (none on Les Mis now thank goodness!).  Good length article by Peter Nichols extracted from his autobiography, production pics, article on the history of forces entertainment.  Not bad I thought.  £4

#75 canadian_turtle

canadian_turtle

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 08:47 PM

I saw this last night and was surprised by how little I was able to connect to the play and characters. SRB was fabulous in his role but other than a few giggles it felt like there was something missing from the overal play. Shame, because I really wanted to love the production after reading so many good things about it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users