#1 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:55 AM

Looks very exciting:

Winslow Boy, Sweet Bird of Youth (with Kim Cattrall) and then the long, distant rumoured production of Much Ado, dir by Rylance, with James Earl Jones and Vanessa Redgrave. Keep up the good work Kev.

#2 Duncan

Duncan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:59 AM

The tickets are on sale now. Large part of stalls unavailable and it's same pattern of seats across all performances, so perhaps reserved for members?

#3 Whenindisgrace

Whenindisgrace

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:05 PM

Yes, their most exciting season for some time I would say, with the exception of the Rattigan, which I like, but is not an adventurous choice.  I've never seen Sweet Bird of Youth; is it up there with Streetcar, Cat and Menagerie?  And the Much Ado sounds intriguing - I just wish I liked Redgrave more.  Rylance's Ulster Benedick (in an early success of Matthew Warchus, if I remember correctly) 20ish years ago remains a highlight of my theatre-going youth.

#4 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2093 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

View PostDuncan, on 03 December 2012 - 11:59 AM, said:

The tickets are on sale now. Large part of stalls unavailable and it's same pattern of seats across all performances, so perhaps reserved for members?

As long as the bargain "slightly restricted view" tickets are on sale they can keep as many back for members or sponsors as they like :)

Curse you Spacey and Grandage for making me pre-arrange so much of 2013 already :o
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#5 Beth

Beth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:44 PM

Perhaps some of the unavailable chunks are taken by booking agencies, though they generally just seem to get the dregs at the back.

Very excited for Sweet Bird of Youth.

I notice the front row showing up in the stalls is row E for Sweet Bird of Youth and row F for Much Ado.  Anyone know if this is a temporary measure, and other rows will appear once the stage design has been sorted?  I'm thinking of day seats.

#6 young offender

young offender

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:46 PM

Yes, that casting of Much Ado might politely be called 'counter-intuitive'. In other news, one of the Billy Elliot kids will give us his Lear.

#7 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:44 PM

View Postxanderl, on 03 December 2012 - 01:19 PM, said:

As long as the bargain "slightly restricted view" tickets are on sale they can keep as many back for members or sponsors as they like :)

Curse you Spacey and Grandage for making me pre-arrange so much of 2013 already :o

Agreed. Booked Sweet Bird of Youth and Much Ado, both behind pillar dress circle....why is 2013 looking full already?

#8 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:50 PM

View Postyoung offender, on 03 December 2012 - 01:46 PM, said:

Yes, that casting of Much Ado might politely be called 'counter-intuitive'. In other news, one of the Billy Elliot kids will give us his Lear.
  Stranger things have happened    http://en.wikipedia....ki/Master_Betty

#9 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:40 PM

Fascinating Armadillo, thanks
I've booked the WB and SBof Y but am not sure about Ms Redgrave and Much Ado. No objection to age of actress, none at all , just don't like her performances. Lady taking the booking did say they were expecting big demand.......

#10 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:26 PM

No, Sweet Bird of Youth is not among the Tennessee Williams classics.  Decidedly second tier, I would say. But Kim Cattrall is excellent casting.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users