#301 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Interests:PJ and Duncan

Posted 03 March 2014 - 01:51 PM

Alas I'm taking step mummy on her yearly trek to the theatre. She has been looking forwRd to this for years

#302 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 02:03 PM

She will enjoy it and enjoy discussing the various contentious points with you. I bet you find it interesting too. Let us know .

#303 TheatreMadGoer

TheatreMadGoer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 03 March 2014 - 09:42 PM

Really have mixed feelings about this production, went this last saturday afternoon, and ended up giving it a standing ovation at the end but still not sure why.

Some thoughts:

- SRB rushes his delivery of pretty much all his speeches in the first half and mangles some of the great verse in the process. I could cope with and almost understand this in the first scene but was not convinced after that.
- I actually enjoyed the Fool but don't agree with his 'death'
- The two cuts I spotted both jarred for me: the first one being Edgar explaining why he's going mad (please tell me this speech exists in the normal text and I'm not going mad myself), and the loss of the duel between Edmund and Edgar, this staging mars that scene
- I really enjoyed the Gloucester/Lear scene towards the end, and thought it was well done
- Sadly this production at times looked lost
- And yes I can't agree more about the extras

#304 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1305 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 07:50 AM

Clearly he doesn't rush them enough!

#305 Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Mrs Lovett's Meat Pie

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Interests:PJ and Duncan

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:22 PM

I enjoyed this, thou I think I loved the play and not the production. SRB just SHOUTED the first act, got a lot better in the second. Liked the naked dude a lot

#306 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:15 PM

View PostMrs Lovett, on 09 March 2014 - 08:22 PM, said:

Liked the naked dude a lot

Like all the best actors, he made his talents clear to even those of us at the back of the theatre.  If that what it's like when poor Tom's a-cold, what must it be like on a warm day?

#307 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 12:30 AM

I don’t think I have seen a production that so warranted the term ‘curate’s egg’, not least because SRB’s performance was a curate’s egg in itself.  And though it pains me to say it, I think the worse parts outnumbered the good.  In the first half, he seemed to very carelessly tread the line between ‘loud’ and ‘shouty’ and his motivation seemed to be simply to make as much noise as possible.  Whilst it was a nice change to visualise to men in his unit and show just what an inconvenience they are (and I enjoyed the Fool playing with them), it just served as the epitome of what was wrong with the show – lots was happening and it didn’t always feel in control.  When SRB played the foolish fond old man he did so well.  When he played the loud tyrant I felt he was playing an actor playing SRB as the shouty man, and it just felt, well, poorly performed.  The twitch, and I'm guessing many gestures characteristic of the Lewy Bodies thing, was hard to see from the back of the circle.  That meant that if his performance was nuanced by tics from researched mental illness they were very underplayed, whilst his anger was overplayed.

I liked the Fool.  Adrian Scarborough just did a good job.  He also seemed to balance SRB nicely, and made a very good foil.  He was tender and enjoyable and fun but brought the due strangeness to speeches such as “This prophecy will Merlin make”.  I thought Stephen Boxer deserved much more recognition for Written on the Heart (that it got so little recognition is still a bugbear) and thus it was great to see him here, and he was excellent.  Liked, but didn’t love, Edmund and Edgar.

Goneril was very good, Kate Fleetwood did a fab job.  My main problem with the normally excellent and always luminous Anna Maxwell Martin was that, by making her Regan such a flirt and a feminine backfooted character in the first half, she seemed ill at ease in the second half, not quite knowing what to do with her character’s violence and passion in the play as her character on stage lacked that drive and malice.  It didn’t follow.  Olivia Vinnall good enough as Cordelia and was rather nice alongside SRB, but didn’t leave a great impression.

I don’t think Mendes’ vision was entirely coherent, entirely applicable to the play, entirely intelligent and entirely enjoyable.  Some performances made it better and some bits were superb (nice to see the cast, the storm I liked, most of the minor characters were good, the wine cellar was a lovely touch and I can’t say I disliked (though I can’t say I liked) the murder of the Fool).  I’ve got a feeling that SRB will take the role again in twenty years, and that might be a treat.  Elements were.  But only elements.  Much was lost from the updating/restaging and little was gained in response.  It was uneven tonally and I don't thnk made for a wholly coherent vision.  A curate's egg.

And the most cardinal sin, regarding Lear, was that when Lear came on with Cordelia my thought was less tragedy at this most tragic moment but joy that I could catch my train.  In fact, when I saw it and he came on shouting, someone whispered, too loudly, “Oh God”.

#308 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 10 March 2014 - 04:05 PM

Would be lovely to be around in twenty years' time when SRB does it again. Here's hoping.

#309 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 01:24 AM

Does anyone know what the dayseat q is like at the minute? I'm debating whether to try. And has anyone got £5 standing seats? Do you just call the box office in the morning? Thanks

#310 sam22

sam22

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:20 AM

Got a ticket for this at last aftet aceepting I wouldn't be able to see it. There are new tickets on sale for June and July with quite a lot still available. I managed to get one of the 15 seats for the last matinee so that's great!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users