308 replies to this topic

#11 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:15 PM

:lol:  Oh, very good. Please help yourself to 10 points and go to the top of the class.

#12 David J

David J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:53 PM

I like the story about the downfall of a king with a thunderstorm, a jester and a number of sub-plots sprinkled in. Yet despite the whole part about redemption and the sad ending, I am not really sympathetic to King Lear. I am not even in a hurry to see the play again after seeing two productions last year and a rather uninteresting YPS King Lear.

I loved Derek Jacobi's performance however. He seemed more like a child, which made the ending emotional for me. One of the best Shakespearean performances I have seen.

I can not imagine Beale playing an Ian Mckellan or Greg Hicks King Lear, perhaps in between them and Jacobi.
My reviews can also be found at "A Night at the Theatre"

http://www.anightatthetheatre.co.uk/

#13 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:56 PM

#14 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5134 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:25 AM

Unlike for Hamlet, for KL you gotta be totally unselfconscious. Obviously acting, not personally. SRB will throw himself into it, I'm sure. As for nuances, I don't think we need worry. He's been round the block, jumped into the pond....

#15 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1234 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:38 AM

Lynette, on 03 December 2012 - 03:41 PM, said:

You saw Timon? the second half....

Yes. Unconvincing, just an angry fat bloke which in the short-hand of English culture is always amusing. He got laughs in that too where there were none. My problem is not with his range so much (although he was poor as Macbeth, and far too audience-friendly as Leontes) but rather the audience expectations. He is like David Tennant - a section of the audience assumes everything they are in must be a comedy.

#16 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:12 AM

#17 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

Epicoene, on 04 December 2012 - 07:38 AM, said:

Yes. Unconvincing, just an angry fat bloke which in the short-hand of English culture is always amusing. He got laughs in that too where there were none. My problem is not with his range so much (although he was poor as Macbeth, and far too audience-friendly as Leontes) but rather the audience expectations. He is like David Tennant - a section of the audience assumes everything they are in must be a comedy.

I don't get it when people say 'laughs where there were none'. If the audience laughed, they clearly found something in the text or its perfomance funny, even if you didn't. Why shouldn't there be laughs even in tragedy? And horror of horrors -m an actor who is 'audience-friendly'. How dare he make Shakespeare entertaining and accessible when everyone knows it's meant to be a an inttellectual ordeal?

#18 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:40 AM

#19 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

Remind me where in Shakespeare's text are the stage directions saying which lines the audience are forbidden to laugh at. And where it is said how sympathetic Leontes or Lear are allowed to be on, on a scale of 1 to 10.

#20 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2519 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:39 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users