#31 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

View PostLynette, on 04 December 2012 - 05:01 PM, said:

Richard Briars who was known for his comedic bloke growing his own veg in the telly series was one of the most menacing Poloniuses [ Polonii] I've ever seen and a crackin' Malvolio who went from farcical to very dark indeed. Called acting.

People are often surprised  that folks like Ronnie Barker or Leslie Philips turned into excellent character actors - but that's eactly what comic acting requires. They aren't playing themselves... Comics are often brilliant actors - I never understand why people  think actors shouldonly be able to play one type of role.

#32 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:16 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 04 December 2012 - 10:12 AM, said:

We were told yesterday that Julius Caesar is fun!

And this is wrong why?

#33 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:42 PM

#34 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:11 PM

View PostLatecomer, on 04 December 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

And this is wrong why?
Latecomer just admit you are wrong ;)

#35 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:15 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 04 December 2012 - 08:42 PM, said:

Which is of course true and how dull would it be if we all thought the same but Honoured Guest you do give your opinion most decidedly so you can't be that surprised at the response you get and perhaps that is sometimes part of the reason for the posts?

#36 peggs

peggs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 494 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:16 PM

that would have made slightly more sense if my post had accurately quote Honoured Guest quoting fringefan

#37 Beth

Beth

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:38 PM

View Postpeggs, on 04 December 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

Latecomer just admit you are wrong ;)

I insist that you have a miserable time at Julius Caesar.  There shall be no having of fun!

#38 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5136 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:00 PM

OK, promise, no fun at the Donmar ever again......

#39 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1237 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:05 AM

"Well we are all entitled to our opinions and all views are equally valid".

No I don't agree. Not all views are equally valid either in general life or in the specific case of theatre.

I once saw Douglas Hodge as Coriolanus. In the scene where he has to show the citizens his wounds he dropped his cloak and stood there naked. A schoolgirl in the front row of the audience then started laughing hysterically, literally helpless with laughter, for the next few minutes. Armadillo may interject at this point to say "Oh how terrible, someone actually enjoying themselves in the theare ! Where does it say that this is not the reaction Shakespeare intended ?" but plainly it wasn't and it was very irritating for audience and cast alike.

#40 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1237 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:17 AM

View PostAlexandra, on 04 December 2012 - 03:25 PM, said:

"there is an interesting story about Jack Lemmon filming Glengarry Glen Ross for example. "

Oh, let's hear it please. I'm hoping to see Al Pacino's take on that role soon.

I can't find the original source, it was an interview with one of the other actors in the film, but in outline it was this. Before filming they rehearsed it for several weeks as if it was a play. Given Lemmon's screen persona as a somewhat mannered light comedian they were a bit concerned about how he would play the role in such a bleak and cynical piece, but he was brilliant, hard-edged, emotionally raw and true and without any trace of pandering for the audience's sympathy. However, on the first day of filming, as soon as the cameras first started rolling he flipped back to his twinkly avuncular self and delivered a totally different performance as if he felt he could not let his audience down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users