#11 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 05:43 PM

View Postzahidf, on 03 December 2012 - 04:26 PM, said:

I'm a bit sick of Much Ado to be honest. I was happy with the Tennant/Tate version for a few years. This one looks somewhat miscast. If Rylance was acting in it on the other hand...
   He won an Olivier for his Benedick  didn't he?

#12 MrBarnaby

MrBarnaby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1281 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:23 AM

I'm sorry but Vavessa Redgrave cannot act. I don't know how she's had this career. Maybe back in the day she used to be fabulous , but I've seen her last 3/4 stage outings and find her to be a lumbering drone.. No variation to her voice at all and terribly wooden. I will also be avoiding this like the plague.

#13 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:47 AM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 04 December 2012 - 12:23 AM, said:

I'm sorry but Vavessa Redgrave cannot act.

Nicol Williamson was the Hamlet of his generation and hailed as a genius in his early years. In his later years he was simply known (if at all) as a difficult and unreliable actor who didn't appear in anything of merit. However, late in his career he was cast as King Lear by Terry Hands, despite the fact that he couldn't remember the lines and gave a different reading each night, simply because in moments of his performance you could see flashes of the genius that used to be - like a ruined cathedral.

#14 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

View PostMrBarnaby, on 04 December 2012 - 12:23 AM, said:

I'm sorry but Vavessa Redgrave cannot act..... I will also be avoiding this like the plague.

Her attendance record is pretty dismal when it comes to theatre, so chances are you'll see her understudy anyway.

#15 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:04 AM

I can't comment on her stage roles as I've never seen her (someone whose opinion I greatly respect saw The Year of Magical Thinking and thought it was wonderful, and I avoided Driving Miss Daisy like the plague, because, well, it's Driving Miss Daisy), but on the basis of Ralph Fiennes' Corialanus, Vanessa Redgrave bally well can still act - it's a very good film and good cast but Redgrave blows everyone out of the water.  Plus she was astonishing in The Devils, which still has a startling power and has just come out on DVD - remember, nothing says "Christmas" like a masturbating nun (in all sincerity, it's a wonderful film and she's wonderful in it, but not necessarily one for the family).

#16 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:51 AM

I doubt anyone here saw her great stage roles, for example in As You Like It and Lady From The Sea, but based on comments at the time she was certainly a great actress then. In moments she was very good in things that I remember, like Cherry Orchard and John Gabriel Borkmann at NT. I also recall one truly terrible RSC production of a Greek play she was in.

#17 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

I enjioyed her Three Sisters with Lynn and Jemma but that may have been the novelty aspect. I think she's a better film actress now than in her heyday in the 60s - she even managed to be good in Anonymous which was otherwise an atrocious piece of rubbish (shame on you, Mark Rylance!)

#18 Michael

Michael

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:02 AM

There's a wonderful audiobook of her 1962 performance as Rosalind in As You Like It available on CD (and at Audible). Also her 1964 Tempest (as I recall she plays Ariel to her dad's Prospero) and her 1961 Twelfth Night (Olivia).

Her Volumnia in the recent Coriolanus film was weird but effective. But a 75-year-old Beatrice? Hmm, not sure.

Maybe if they put a beard on her and cast her as Hero's father.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users