theatrically

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:14 PM

View Postdallardice, on 12 March 2013 - 01:21 PM, said:

What's the running time for Chess?

I see that the Union Theatre website encourages you to arrive one hour before performance - is it really necessary to get there for 6.30pm?  Is that when theatre doors open or the auditorium doors?  I know it's unassigned seating, so I need to be there early enough to get a decent seat, but I don't remember the Union Theatre having a very attractive space to hang around for an hour in?
  I have seen it twice and both times I got there at 6.45 and there is the bar ( which is warm) and the outside cafe which is obviously cold at this time of year.Both times people started queuing around 7pm but the doors do not open until 7.20-7.25pm.It has a 20 minute break and ends just after 10pm

#42 dallardice

dallardice

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 05:32 PM

Great, thanks theatrically.  Better get my skates on then!

Very much looking forward to this - Chess was the first West End musical I ever saw, I loved the album so much I took the overnight bus down from Scotland where I was living at the time, saw the first Saturday matinee of the West End run, and then took the overnight bus back  up home.  It was also my first visit to London by myself (I had just turned 18) and can't imagine how worried my parents must have been about what I might have got up to (nothing, unfortunately).  Saw the RAH concert production but am very excited to see it staged again.

#43 Moley

Moley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Gigs, Travelling

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:55 PM

View Postdallardice, on 12 March 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

Very much looking forward to this - Chess was the first West End musical I ever saw, I loved the album so much I took the overnight bus down from Scotland where I was living at the time, saw the first Saturday matinee of the West End run, and then took the overnight bus back  up home.  It was also my first visit to London by myself (I had just turned 18) and can't imagine how worried my parents must have been about what I might have got up to (nothing, unfortunately).  Saw the RAH concert production but am very excited to see it staged again.

hehe!  When we went to see this production of Chess we got the 4am train from Scotland, saw the show in the evening then got the overnight bus back home!  It was completely worth it!

#44 Schuttep

Schuttep

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 09:37 AM

View Postdallardice, on 12 March 2013 - 05:32 PM, said:

Now that's dedication!

I also saw the original at the Prince Edward several times. This production is excellent. How they dance on that tiny stage is a miracle!!
If I listed every show I'd seen since 1974 I'd get RSI.

Favourite Musicals: Blood Brothers; Brigadoon; Chicago; Chess; Chorus Line; Company; Evita; Follies; Godspell; Les Miserables; Little Night Music; Little Shop of Horrors; Mack and Mabel; Man of La Mancha; Merrily We Roll Along; Miss Saigon; Phantom of the Opera; Rent; Rocky Horror Show; South Pacific.

Favourite Plays: Beautiful Thing; Bent; Blithe Spirit; Cat on a Hot Tin Roof; Cherry Orchard; Dance of Death; Death of a Salesman; Endgame; Happy Days; Hedda Gabler; Henry IV (Parts I and II); Importance of Being Earnest; Little Foxes; Mother Courage; Private Lives; Shirley Valentine; Torch Song Trilogy; What the Butler Saw; Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?; Wild Duck.

#45 dallardice

dallardice

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 11:22 AM

I absolutely adored this - such creative staging and wonderful energy from the whole case.  Particularly loved the staging of 'Merano' and 'Embassy Lament' which could be challenging.

Of the principals, I thought they were all pretty good with the exception of Craig Rhys Barlow as the Arbiter who couldn't hit the high notes - not sure if his voice was struggling last night or if the part is just too high for him, but he's the one I felt didn't quite hit the mark.  Nadim Naaman as Anatoly had a lovely voice but not quite strong enough to make 'Anthem' the show stopper it can be, that distinction went to Sarah Gabriel as Florence who was superb for Heaven Help My Heart and Nobody's Side.

Sorry that I will only get to see the production once - would happily go again.  And for anyone going later in the week, people were already queuing when I got there at 6.50 - bar staff said they've never seen the theater like this - but the staging and seating is such that there are no really bad seats.  I'd try to avoid being the absolutely last into the auditorium and getting stuck with seats right in the back corners, but anywhere else will be fine.

And the journey a little less arduous than two consecutive overnight bus journeys...

Also tagged with Morphic Graffiti, Union Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users