Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:30 PM

Dam. great for them though

I hope it extends

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#22 theatrically

theatrically

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:37 AM

So this opens this week - who is going ?

#23 chess

chess

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:23 PM

View Posttheatrically, on 11 February 2013 - 10:37 AM, said:

So this opens this week - who is going ?
I am going to see but that wil be at the end of the run. Really look ing forward to see it. Last week I have visit the Gothenburg production of chess in Sweden. That productions plays a sell out run in the Gothenburg Opera and is a very interesting version of the show, with a brilliant orchestra and cast.

#24 Moley

Moley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Gigs, Travelling

Posted 13 February 2013 - 08:23 PM

Going on Saturday evening, really looking forward to it!

#25 theatrically

theatrically

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:20 AM

We are going this evening :-)

#26 theatrically

theatrically

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 08:50 AM

Overall we enjoyed the show immensely.There were some major plus points and some major negavtive points.The women for outshone then men with one exception.Sarah Galbraith as Florence was incredible.
Gillian Kirkpatrick as Alexandra was brilliant and held her Russian accent excellently throughout.Natalie McQueen as the over zealous American tv reporter was hilarious.The one exceptiojn in the leading men was Craig Rhys Barlow as the Arbiter.His voice was strong and acting very suited to the role.But Tim Oxbrow was very dissapointing.By his own admission he had a bad cold but his voice was cracking everywhere and in his ginal solo was painful to listen to.The biggest let down of the night was Nadim Naaman.His Russian accent lasted the first 5 minutes and then totally vanished making his portrayal totally ridiculous as the defecting Russian.He was also vocally disspointing.You would think that with 2 dissapointing male leads it would ruin the show but it did not because of the strong performances of the others - especially the aforementioned Sarah and Craig.
Elaine Paige was in the audience too which must have been exciting for the cast but daunting for Sarah.
Hopefully as this was the first night the failings of the two leads can be rectified - one more easily than the other methinks.

#27 Joule

Joule

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 01:01 PM

Shame this has sold out (though good for them). Is it any less camp than the recent tour?
Don't mind camp where I expect it, but CRH's take camp take on Chess was a bit much at times..
'You're about as sexy as a cabbage patch kid.'

#28 Zermatt

Zermatt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and Travel. Often these two combine!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:52 PM

Theatrically, were we at the same show?!

The two male leads were fabulous in their parts. Never seen either of them before and thought they were both exceptional. Nadim Naaman vocally disappointing? Are you serious? I guess this just highlights how theatre is a matter of personal opinion and taste. I would happily listen to him sing for hours, and his Endgame sent shivers down my spine.

From where I was sat, I could not hear Craig at all. His voice is lovely, but it is the pop/rock type that needs a mic. Whilst I think Sarah sang wonderfully, I wouldn't say she stood out as I thought others were just as strong. And you lay into Nadim's accent. Yes it was more subtle than Gillian's, but I heard it throughout the show. And for all your lauding of Sarah, I couldn't tell whether she was meant to be American or English.

Where we are agreed is that Gillian Kirkpatrick as Molokova is superb. The female casting of that role really worked for me.

Overall this is an exceptional production, with an excellent cast, and the clearest understanding of the plot that I have had. I guess from the feedback so far, you need to see it for yourselves, as contrasting views will exist aplenty. The beauty of theatre!

#29 Zermatt

Zermatt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and Travel. Often these two combine!

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:01 PM

And Joule, yes it's much less camp! Much more about the human stories and realistic approach. Fewer conceptual scenes and orgies than the CRH version!

#30 MrTumnus

MrTumnus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:10 PM

Saturday night for me (tomorrow) - my favourite show. Travelling south overnight tonight,  Chorus Line matinee, Chess, then bus back to the frozen Northern  wastelands. Hope I get a comfy armchair. -_-
I can't think out of the box as I don't have a box to start with.

Also tagged with Morphic Graffiti, Union Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users