#31 theatrically

theatrically

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:36 PM

View PostZermatt, on 15 February 2013 - 02:52 PM, said:

Theatrically, were we at the same show?!

Nadim Naaman vocally disappointing? Are you serious? I guess this just highlights how theatre is a matter of personal opinion and taste. I would happily listen to him sing for hours, and his Endgame sent shivers down my spine.

I am amazed you didnt hear his voice all over the place and cracking at the end.. funnily enough afterwards he was talking about how bad his cold was and hoped his voice behaved itself for the press night ( tonight )
even the couple next to me commented on how rough he was
and as for the non existant Russian accent from Tim  two ladies next to us at the interval remarked on the same thing
but as you say each to their own thoughts

#32 Zermatt

Zermatt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and Travel. Often these two combine!

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:14 AM

The reviews are arriving...

Five Stars from West End Frame: http://www.westendfr...ical-Chess.html

Also, last night, Mark Shenton (The Stage, Sunday Express) tweeted as he left the production: "Just seen the 1st night of CHESS at The Union Theatre, another of this theatre's revelatory reclamations of a problematic yet powerful show. CHESS may well have the best of all the 80s pop opera scores (& I include LES MIS & PHANTOM), & is thrillingly rendered at The Union Theatre. Simon Lambert's fantastic 6-member band accompanies a terrific cast superbly through the intricacies of CHESS's operatic pop score. There's a feast of good singing from trio of principals Sarah Galbraith, Nadim Naaman & Tim Oxbrow. There's terrific support all round, especially Gillian Kirkpatrick, quite marvellous as leader of Russian delegation. CHESS at The Union Theatre, in short, makes all the right moves to make this Cold War musical feel red hot. I can't wait to see it again!"

I think there are going to be lots of people wishing they'd booked before this sold out!

#33 Front Row Dress

Front Row Dress

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

Saw this last night, Sarah Galbraith is incredible, as are all the other female leads, but let down somewhat by Tim Oxbrow, who struggles with the top notes and a lacklustre Arbiter from  Craig Rhys Barlow. Still definitely worth a visit if you can get a ticket. Full report on the blog, where I've called it a "qualified triumph" http://www.frontrowd...5-february.html
www.frontrowdress.com

#34 Zermatt

Zermatt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Interests:Theatre and Travel. Often these two combine!

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:35 PM

5/5 from The Express for Chess. http://www.express.c...-Theatre-London

#35 MrTumnus

MrTumnus

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:18 PM

Amazing show that worked incredibly well in such a small space.
The cast ranged from excellent to just very good. :rolleyes:
Well worth the journey.

Although it was sold out (as has the whole run) there were 6 or 7 empty seats (12%) so worth arriving just before the start if you're fairly local.
I can't think out of the box as I don't have a box to start with.

#36 Moley

Moley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, Gigs, Travelling

Posted 17 February 2013 - 08:57 PM

Saw the show on Saturday and loved it.  Thought Sarah Galbraith was the star, but overall it is a brilliant cast.  A bit unsure of Tim Oxbrow vocally but his acting was very strong.  I love Chess as a show, and felt this production went a bit deeper emotionally into who the characters are...this may be due to the intimacy of the venue as much as everything else.  I'm glad to see it's getting mainly positive reviews, would definitely recommend it.

#37 cat123

cat123

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3354 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 10:22 PM

It's a fantastic score. This is a good production. Sarah Galbraithe as Florence blew me away, also quite impressed with Nadim Naaman and Natasha Barnes. Less so with some of the other cast. It could be because I was sitting by the band but I couldn't hear a lot of the words (good job I know them anyway!) Wish the show was mic'd.

#38 Zippy

Zippy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 05:42 PM

View PostMrTumnus, on 17 February 2013 - 05:18 PM, said:

Although it was sold out (as has the whole run) there were 6 or 7 empty seats (12%) so worth arriving just before the start if you're fairly local.

Do they re-sell the empty seats if you do arrive just before the start?

#39 dallardice

dallardice

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 01:21 PM

What's the running time for Chess?

I see that the Union Theatre website encourages you to arrive one hour before performance - is it really necessary to get there for 6.30pm?  Is that when theatre doors open or the auditorium doors?  I know it's unassigned seating, so I need to be there early enough to get a decent seat, but I don't remember the Union Theatre having a very attractive space to hang around for an hour in?

#40 Stage Hand

Stage Hand

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 03:40 PM

Any body see this and able to provide a review of the show

Also tagged with Morphic Graffiti, Union Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users