11 replies to this topic

#1 dude-1981

dude-1981

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:03 AM

Saw this tonight.  New Jack Thorne play, tucked away at the Soho Theatre Upstairs.  Excellent.  Great acting, two hander, great writing.

http://sohotheatre.c...ats-on/mydidae/

Will add more hopefully, but wanted to start this thread.
If, for some strange reason you care what I've seen, it's all here:

http://pcchan1981.livejournal.com/

#2 jael

jael

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 02:14 AM

Thanks for starting the thread.

Great performances by Phoebe Waller Bridge and Keir Charles.

#3 Abby

Abby

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 December 2012 - 10:21 AM

Saw this yesterday on the strength of your recommendations and thought it was superb, so thanks! Excellent acting, which actually made me forget that I was sitting in a theatre watching actors - very rare. Nudity on stage often makes me uncomfortable but I barely noticed it here because it felt perfectly natural. Think it might have been the last day yesterday, but if not would recommend highly.

Thesp-packed audience as well - Michelle Terry, Paul Ready and Andrew Scott all there.

#4 Chameleon

Chameleon

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

Yes - really good writing, and a fine production. Maybe went too far ( a step beyond what the characters would do or accept) at one point (not going to give spoilers, in case it gets produced elsewhere..  ideally the Royal Court would pick this up and give it a run upstairs - it's better than anything they've done in a long time..)...

#5 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 25 December 2012 - 04:53 AM

I also saw this on Saturday and enjoyed it on the whole, but did no-one else feel that the two characters were totally mismatched as a couple?  I found the question "What on earth are these two doing together in the first place?" kept intruding on the actual action, making it even less credible in some ways - particularly the development to which I think Chameleon refers.

#6 jael

jael

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:31 AM

View Postfringefan, on 25 December 2012 - 04:53 AM, said:

I also saw this on Saturday and enjoyed it on the whole, but did no-one else feel that the two characters were totally mismatched as a couple?  I found the question "What on earth are these two doing together in the first place?" kept intruding on the actual action, making it even less credible in some ways - particularly the development to which I think Chameleon refers.
Did think that too. Perhaps the point was that the couple didn't notice the mismatch when head over heels in love and the differences have accentuated over time?

#7 jael

jael

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 04:34 AM

View PostAbby, on 23 December 2012 - 10:21 AM, said:

Nudity on stage often makes me uncomfortable but I barely noticed it here because it felt perfectly natural.

Indeed and perhaps the length made it feel more natural and not like the audience was voyeurs.

#8 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2092 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

Transferring to the Trafalgar 2 with the original cast in March
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#9 AnnieInTheStalls

AnnieInTheStalls

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 06:46 PM

Very pleased by this. I've been very impressed every time I've seen Phoebe Waller-Bridge.

#10 popcultureboy

popcultureboy

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 12:01 PM

This passed me by in December, will make up for that with a visit to it in Trafalgar 2. Saw HAY FEVER twice, didn't like Phoebe Waller-Bridge 1st time, loved her 2nd time. Go figure.

Also tagged with Soho Theatre

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users