Jump to content


James Mcavoy - Macbeth At Trafalgar Studios


  • Please log in to reply
224 replies to this topic

#101 Bovery

Bovery

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

I noticed that in some of the newer reviews Claire Foy seems to be receiving more accolades than she did during the previews. I was worried that Claire would never keep up with James' energetic acting. Not that she needed to be as riveting, but perhaps not so low-key that it would create a huge gap between Macbeth and Lady M, which would result in insular characters with a common goal - too contradictory and hard to buy.

Anyone who has seen the play lately could confirm this, is Claire really finding her feet?

#102 Duncan

Duncan

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 03:11 PM

Jamie Lloyd set his production of Macbeth in a future Scotland ruined by civil war and social breakdown brought about by cataclysmic climate change. But Macbeth is not a play specifically about Scotland, in the same way that The Merchant of Venice and Othello are not plays about Venice, and Hamlet is not a play about Denmark. To make it specific is to reduce it.

The problem with a power struggle set in a ruined dystopia is that it is essentially a fight over nothing. Macbeth overthrew Duncan and became the king of little more than a dwindling stock of tinned food. The outcome did not matter.

This goes contrary to the play where insurrections against Duncan’s rule are being extinguished just at it begins, meaning that Macbeth’s own insurrection violates the ensuing peace. He helps to restore order and then becomes the principal agent of a truly chaotic disorder than flows not from any external source but purely from his own temperament.

Nowhere in James McAvoy's Macbeth was there any indication of the noble person he could have become had he not succumbed to his ambitions. He began as blood-soaked street fighter and ended just the same. The blood shed during the killing of Duncan only has the power to shock if it stains fresh, clean clothes, not dirty rags already encrusted with the blood of war.

With no descent from nobility of character there is no tragedy and no drama, just a series of events.

#103 Poly

Poly

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Location:London

Posted 25 February 2013 - 04:57 PM

I don't necessarily agree that McAvoy's Macbeth is not noble. The rules are different, but at the beginning he has a personal and tribal moral code. The moment he kills his own, he steps on the other side and he knows it.

#104 Beth

Beth

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Gender:Female

Posted 25 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

View PostBovery, on 25 February 2013 - 01:10 PM, said:

I noticed that in some of the newer reviews Claire Foy seems to be receiving more accolades than she did during the previews. I was worried that Claire would never keep up with James' energetic acting. Not that she needed to be as riveting, but perhaps not so low-key that it would create a huge gap between Macbeth and Lady M, which would result in insular characters with a common goal - too contradictory and hard to buy.

Anyone who has seen the play lately could confirm this, is Claire really finding her feet?

I don't know if her performance has changed much since the previews, but for me, she was one of the weaker aspects of the production.  I would love to have seen more fire from her, more determination and strength in her early scenes.

#105 KevinUK

KevinUK

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 25 February 2013 - 09:57 PM

View PostBeth, on 25 February 2013 - 08:46 PM, said:



I don't know if her performance has changed much since the previews, but for me, she was one of the weaker aspects of the production.  I would love to have seen more fire from her, more determination and strength in her early scenes.

Exactly. She's supposedly leading her husband to greatness - there's no drive, nor determination or sheer will for her husband to hold it together and do as she says.
If I stay awake, it must be good.

#106 jaqs

jaqs

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 10:52 PM

Not for those who don't like fake blood, gallons of it.

Lady M was the weak point tonight, dosent help that she looks so young, just came over as following along. The witches were very shouty but still difficult to make out words when the masks slipped.

Overall I enjoyed it though, some very good performances and I liked the use of torches in the lighting.

Lovely audience of teenagers who, at least near me, were really enjoying it. Made for a very different atmosphere at times and really was a new audience.

#107 Bovery

Bovery

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 11:34 PM

Thanks Beth and Kevin. I'll only be able to see it for myself in April, curiosity is killing me!

#108 paplazaroo

paplazaroo

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:31 PM

This is part of Lloyd's Trafalgar Transformed season right? Does that mean it will be followed by other things? Anyone know anything about it as a season?

#109 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:06 PM

It is. 5 play residency I believe. I've heard Pinter's The Hothouse and Kaye Campbell's Apologia. I expect the next show will be announced within the next week or so.



#110 Jon

Jon

    Advanced Member

  • Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1408 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 07:16 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 27 February 2013 - 07:06 PM, said:

It is. 5 play residency I believe. I've heard Pinter's The Hothouse and Kaye Campbell's Apologia. I expect the next show will be announced within the next week or so.

Assasins was mentioned in an article in Variety as part of the season but I imagine that wont be until later in the year or 2014.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users