224 replies to this topic

#131 Bovery

Bovery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

View PostBackdrifter, on 01 March 2013 - 02:19 PM, said:

By the way the ATG system while annoying isn't that strange - others do this as well
It's really unfortunate that they adopt a system that punishes single theatregoers.

I guess a friend of mine was really lucky, then. She managed to buy two single seats for different days, when there were only four or five up for sale...

#132 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 02:40 PM

And I went with a few other people and all felt etiher as I did or more positively.  Mixed responses for Lady M, some saying she got better as we went along.  All positive for James McAvoy (though some had a slight bias).  Lots of enthusiasm for Jamie Ballard.  A fair bit for Banquo and Duncan too.  Apprehensions over setting, or just didn't mind.  Opinions varied from mine - good but not great - to really very good indeed.

#133 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Interests:Moving, sleeping, eating, not being here

Gender says 'not telling' but, clue: I own some Y chromosomes

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:11 PM

View PostBovery, on 01 March 2013 - 02:40 PM, said:

It's really unfortunate that they adopt a system that punishes single theatregoers.

I guess a friend of mine was really lucky, then. She managed to buy two single seats for different days, when there were only four or five up for sale...
Yes she did well - in the past I've found that they won't allow 3 to be left in a row either, so couples wanting to buy when there's a block of 3 or 5 will also be scuppered.
Turn up the signal... wipe out the noise

#134 exuberantlyblue

exuberantlyblue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:14 PM

View PostNicholas, on 01 March 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

Oh, and the stage seats - I'm sure they're great to sit in, but they're quite conspicuous and sort of ruined the fourth wall for me.  At times it just looked a little, well, silly to see people flicking at a programme or talking to each other or just to see faces respond.  At the end of yesterday in the final fight they almost ran into a person, whose response was quite amusing, so people laughed (I think I did), which set a comic tone for the finale.  When a bloody Mr Tumnus head is funny...

I totally get you about the fourth wall. Seeing people behind the actors doesn't bother me usually (the Donmar's my favourite theatre, and the Young Vic Hamlet one of my favourite plays last year, and they both staged on three sides), but for some reason last night they threw me out several times. The one you've mentioned - the girl's reaction to having brawlers nearly land on her lap that made everyone laugh - was one, the woman sipping wine like she was in her parlour while Lady Macduff was being brutally strangled directly in front of her was another, but there were others too. Plus the fact that a few of them left at the interval meant that there were glaringly empty seats.

Like you said, great to sit in, I'm sure - although the front row of the normal seats would probably be nearly as neat, and not risk the view being obstructed - but really kind of a distraction for everyone else.

#135 Minty

Minty

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:11 PM

Just to add my frustrations about the booking system - I was in the online queue at 10.01am - website said tickets were released at 10. When I got through to the booking page I experienced the same thing as some others have mentioned of the 2 seats left on either side of the stage and it wouldn't let me book either one or both. Nothing else was available. Extremely frustrating. A friend at work had exactly the same experience. It's so annoying! Unrelated to Macbeth but I have also missed out on a lot of recent shows at the National because I'm not a member - I seem to be finding it very difficult to get tickets to anything lately!!!

#136 exuberantlyblue

exuberantlyblue

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:15 PM

View PostMinty, on 01 March 2013 - 11:11 PM, said:

Just to add my frustrations about the booking system - I was in the online queue at 10.01am - website said tickets were released at 10. When I got through to the booking page I experienced the same thing as some others have mentioned of the 2 seats left on either side of the stage and it wouldn't let me book either one or both. Nothing else was available. Extremely frustrating. A friend at work had exactly the same experience.

That sounds really frustrating. I wonder how many tickets were available for each show? Weren't something like half reserved for schools/charities/etc., and then they must have had some reserved for callers at the box office. Maybe there weren't that many online? Because otherwise it seems a bit much that they all went in 30 seconds or whatever.

#137 Deal J

Deal J

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 11:26 PM

View PostNicholas, on 01 March 2013 - 02:32 PM, said:

Oh, and watch Ralph Fiennes' Coriolanus.

It's a Shakespeare thread. Yet I'm still sniggering immaturely. For shame.
My theatre blog: http://dealj.wordpress.com

#138 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 06:54 PM

View Postexuberantlyblue, on 01 March 2013 - 11:15 PM, said:

it seems a bit much that they all went in 30 seconds or whatever.
ATG Tickets tweeted yesterday that they all went in 5 minutes. They were responding to various customers' tweets but completely ignored the several I sent about the issues we've been discussing above.

#139 Bovery

Bovery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:36 PM

View PostBackdrifter, on 02 March 2013 - 06:54 PM, said:

ATG Tickets tweeted yesterday that they all went in 5 minutes. They were responding to various customers' tweets but completely ignored the several I sent about the issues we've been discussing above.

Too bad. They really should address your questioning. It's my questioning too, and from lots of people who will try for single tickets next month.

Unfortunately, I'm almost considering the April Monday tickets gone for good, since my availability is only for one specific date, and with my crappy internet connection I don't think I'll make it.

#140 Backdrifter

Backdrifter

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

Yes, I'm giving up, not bothering with April. The various issues I've had with the single seats system even before this, and their poor customer service, have left me with no desire to book with ATG again. Which I realise cuts out a swathe of potential productions, but I'm not too concerned. I'm seeing progressively fewer ATG type shows anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users