224 replies to this topic

#171 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:36 AM

I haven't seen this yet but that photo of someone in a pig's head...in the rather brilliant TV Macbeth which McAvoy was in, where they all worked in a restaurant, didn't the weird sisters (who were refuse collectors) appear in pigs' heads at some point? There was definitely a porcine reference.

#172 Bovery

Bovery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:09 PM

I think that the reference is Joe Macbeth slicing open a pig's head, great scene. He also has a pig tatoo on his arm.

#173 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 12:26 PM

Oh ok, thanks.  And also I have a feeling that Birnam Wood coming to Dunsinane was changed to pigs flying.

#174 Bovery

Bovery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:50 PM

Yes..."pigs will fly" was what Joe said to Macduff when he acknowledged his fate. "Pigs" being the cops on helicopters, of course.

I think that the modernized TV version is really ingenius, I like it a lot.

#175 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:55 PM

Was that part of the series with Damien Lewis in Much Ado where the Hero/Claudio business was done by having a stalker steal Hero's mobile phone and send texts to himself?  Or something similar. Very clever.

#176 Alexandra

Alexandra

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1779 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

Yes, same series. Macbeth was really good.

#177 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:17 PM

The only one I thought was a bit rubbish was Taming of the Shrew with the Blair's Babes which just seemed ludicrous. The quite similar Chaucer series was fun too though obviously the source material was less familiar.

#178 Bovery

Bovery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:20 PM

I didn't like Taming too. The weakest of the series.

#179 Coated peanut

Coated peanut

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

I went to a matinee a couple of weeks ago (managed to snag a return ticket, good seat too) and some people were having discussions with FOH staff about the tickets they bought on eBay, which appeared to be fake.

Don't know whether this happens a lot, but it reminded me to never be tempted to buy overpriced tickets from profiteers, never mind how much I want to see something.

Loved the play, the gritty atmosphere suited my mood amazingly well. For some reason the Scottish rendering of the text really worked for me, possibly one of my first Shakespeare's were I listened and got all of the dialogue throughout the play (normally I will have at least one or two periods during long wordy bits where I realise that I stopped listening - looking at you, Winter's Tale)

#180 Bovery

Bovery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

View PostCoated peanut, on 11 March 2013 - 07:33 PM, said:

I went to a matinee a couple of weeks ago (managed to snag a return ticket, good seat too) and some people were having discussions with FOH staff about the tickets they bought on eBay, which appeared to be fake.
This is terrible, specially because ebayers have been selling tickets at £200 pounds. I went to the page out of curiosity, and all the tickets have lots of bids.

I have a question for you...you said that you bought a return ticket for the matinee. Does one have to queue for those? And are returns sold only on the same day of the performance?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users