#221 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2521 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:53 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 23 April 2013 - 09:59 AM, said:

And transformed also seems to mean jacking prices up. £5 programme - a few good articles, but £5?! - and ice creams (not that I got one) are £4.50.

View PostLynette, on 23 April 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

Niche in the market for decent cheap icecream. Ice cream at The National is 'orrible. All over priced everywhere.

Given the significant health risks of consuming ice cream, there is a strong argument for the Government levying hefty taxes on it, as they do with alcohol and tobacco. Say, charge an additional tax of £4.50 on Trafalgar Transformed's £4.50 tub.

#222 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3745 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 02:54 PM

View PostLynette, on 23 April 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

Niche in the market for decent cheap icecream. Ice cream at The National is 'orrible. All over priced everywhere.

The YV is the only place I ever have ice cream/sorbet: £2 a tub, they do a good mango sorbet. But yes, I agree- there's a gap in the market here.

#223 armadillo

armadillo

Advanced Member

• Validating
  • PipPipPip
  • 2740 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 05:52 PM

At the Finborough you have to get your interval snack at the newsagents next door which means a Magnum rather than rubbishy theatre ice-cream

#224 Ruperto

Ruperto

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:59 AM

Managed to catch this before it finished - loud, in-your-face and heavy on the pyrotechnics and blood, but a really impressive, incredibly physical performance from James McAvoy. God knows what state his body must be in after throwing himself around like that for eight performances a week - he must be covered in bruises!

A good one to take truculent teenagers etc to, who think they don't like theatre and prefer to be down the front in the moshpit at a gig - I'd have loved to have seen something like this when I was a truculent teenager studying Macbeth at school.

We were in the front row of the stage seats (hopefully the blood will wash out of my shirt...). If they keep the same seating layout for The Hothouse, then I think I'd stick to the central aisle stage seats - some of the ones on the ends looked a bit restricted view to me? With no looking up, the front row of the main seating looked like a good place to be, though I think it's all premium priced for The Hothouse...

#225 Bovery

Bovery

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 01:42 AM

Saw the play twice two weeks ago - I had one ticket and dayseated for another one. It was more than worth the long wait in the cold. I loved the staging, loved the intensity. I don't understand some criticisms about it being "shouty". I guess that Lloyd's intention was to show a world in which the survivors of whatever cataclysmic event that must have happened were already deranged, a dog eat dog situation. They were all tense, mad, barking at each other because there weren't really any more "niceties" left in the world.

Anyway, James McAvoy was superb. He was so believable commanding in the beginning, and so harrowingly descending into madness until his suicide stance at the end. Brilliant. I'm really gutted he didn't win the Olivier today. His was the best performance I've seen in theatre in a long, long time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users