5 replies to this topic

#1 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:43 AM

There was an interview with Trev in the FT this weekend. In it he says his ambition is to direct all 37 Shakespeare plays and so far he has directed 30. Passing over the fact that I don't think it is right (I'd say he's directed 31 or 32) it raises the question of who is going to let him direct the 3 parts of Henry VI ? Surely Greg Doran will be keen to get him back to do it, or maybe NIcholas Hytner will continue his admirable policy of staging all the Shakespeare plays the NT hasn't done before. He hasn't directed Richard III either so the tetralogy would kill 4 birds with 1 stone. The only other play I can think of he hasn't directed is Midsummer NIght's Dream.

#2 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2531 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

Might he direct these at Chichester perhaps?

#3 Epicoene

Epicoene

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1239 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:42 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 09 December 2012 - 11:26 AM, said:

Might he direct these at Chichester perhaps?

Doubtful I'd say for Henry VI, the cost of assembling the size of cast needed would be high and would the locals support the staging of three such "unpopular" plays in Trev's traditional 12 hours staging ? The only place I could even imagine letting him try, apart from RSC and NT, would possibly be the Globe.

Also in the interview he said his greatest regret was in never being able to get permission to mount an entirely new prouction of West Side Story which he regards as the greatest musical ever written. One of those pieces protected by an over-zealous writer's estate I suppose.

#4 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2086 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

The Globe are doing Henry VI next year, although it's one of their smaller scale touring productions which will play at the Globe for a few weeks, so unlikely this would be one for Trev.
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#5 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:32 PM

Maybe he will film it like The Hollow Crown thingie just done [ and v good imo] It would work on film but I agree, pricey with lots of soldiers and outdoor battle scenes. But filmed Bard getting popular again - Coriolanus with Fiennes and the RSC JC filmed tho started as stage piece.

#6 Jon

Jon

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1397 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:44 PM

Henry VI and Richard III would be ideal for any follow up to the Hollow Crown.

West Side Story would have an interesting one for Trevor to do but it restricted as you cant alter the choreography.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users