6 replies to this topic

#1 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:59 PM

Has anyone taken a long break from theatregoing? Did you return to the same habit or did you come back refreshed and branch out to see a different range of theatre or perhaps narrow your focus or just appreciate more what you saw? I would love to take such a break but I keep getting caught by apparently must-see shows. Maybe it tends to happen for enforced reasons like changed family circumstances or financial reasons or moving away from home or incidents such as the occasion of Lynette's knee.

#2 Laughingmonsta

Laughingmonsta

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2424 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

Yes I have to do it regularly...usually after seeing far too much over Christmas and also without a doubt after a month working and watching shows in Edinburgh. A good month usually suffices and then I am refreshed and renewed. However working in the idustry means I never fully get away from it.
This is my street, I smile at the faces I've known all my life, They regard me with pride.

#3 jaqs

jaqs

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:01 AM

I watched a lot, lot less when I moved away from london. Seeing far too much since my return.

I need a break but have already booked loads for next year. Looks like march is free maybe I'll try taking that time off.

#4 Reich

Reich

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1028 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:38 PM

I’m currently in the process of buying a flat so I’m starting to feel hunger! I’ve booked tickets for two essential musicals next year but apart from that my cupboard is bare. I’ve hardly spent any real money on theatre this year, a lot of my experiences have come through the Audience Club and hopefully it will be the same for next year … :D

but a proper fast could be good as i do question my objective / subjective views ...

Broadway has been very good to me. But then, I've been very good to broadway.

#5 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 03:47 PM

My life includes a built-in theatre fast as I divide my time between London and Los Angeles where theatre is, shall we say, peripheral to the culture.  This is why, in London, I go on theatre binges.  It's feast or famine.
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#6 Titan

Titan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3400 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:44 PM

yep i have, quite majorly due to financial reasons. i came to realise how much money i was spending on theatre (and getting to london etc) and saw what else i could do with that money. instead of trying to see everything, especially musicals, im now only seeing one or two big shows a year. i see more touring shows at local venue and ive found since i see less the more i enjoy what i do see, im less critical and flippent

#7 Nicholas

Nicholas

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 03:13 PM

What with the festive season coming up, some friends and family have planned trips at the theatre as treats, and to make them actually feel like treats I've stayed away for a fortnight.  I don't know if that counts as a "fast", but I'm seeing Privates on Parade on Saturday and am absolutely chomping at the bit to go in a way I wasn't for most other shows.  Absence makes the heart grow fonder.  I find it makes you realise the plays you really appreciate and why you go to the theatre.  And it's nice to vary things.  I went to the cinema the other day, which I wouldn't have wanted to if I'd been to the theatre a number of times recently (if you're going to see Great Expectations, lower them).  And I've work to be done and don't have to negotiate time as much with myself.

To me it's perfect theatregoing.  Looking back on 2012, I realise I don't have a top five shows - I've seen too many incomparable yet wonderful shows.  This year the first thing I saw was One Man, Two Guv'nors and the last thing I saw was Constellations: both stayed with me long after the end, both are potential 'best shows' and both are so different.  Similarly, I can't make a bottom five - as I do take breaks I can't see the Damned by Despairs of this world if I want to see the Timon of Athenss, and I've seen too few bad things to make a bottom five.  I've seen unremarkable plays, and some actively bad ones, but mercifully very few (my bottom one is an easy choice though).  A balance like that feels good to me, and a rest every now and then puts things into perspective.  In the last year I've seen a great deal of theatre and a great variety of it, and yet very few absolutely terrible pieces.  I think a fast gives you the best of both worlds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users