#11 Parsley

Parsley

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

View Postxanderl, on 09 December 2012 - 08:16 PM, said:

Interesting to have an alternative view! I'm seeing this on Saturday. Not sure if I've seen any Crimp but I was one of the minority who liked Wastwater

Are you going to see Crimp and Katie Mitchell's opera collaboration next year Parsley?

I saw this already at the Festival Aix.

Written On Skin.

It's good enough....very Katie Mitchell!

In fact (in my mind at least) Martin Crimp and Katie Mitchell look like each other!!

#12 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:46 PM

View PostParsley, on 09 December 2012 - 07:58 PM, said:

Sorry, I have to interject here and say how fantastic I thought this was.

snipped.....

I prefer Crimp's postdramatic work and this sounds like I'm going to enjoy it when I see it next weekend, Fewer Emergencies and Attempts on Her Life are two of the best pieces of contemporary theatre of the last twenty years in my opinion. Not for the conservative of course but brimming with ideas and invention, very European in approach in fact and it's good to see that British Theatre's push beyond naturalism doesn't just extend to devising companies.

With this 'Love and Information' and 'Constellations' and the more traditional 'Love, Love, Love', it seems like a pretty good year at the Royal Court, serving many different strands of contemporary writing.

#13 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1668 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:53 PM

Glad I'm going to see this...I like something a bit different and as I am going alone I won't have to care if someone with me is enjoying it! :)

#14 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 786 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 04:31 AM

For once I'm in the majority, if I can say that when I've neither seen nor booked for this.  I gave up on Martin Crimp years ago and have yet to read anything to persuade me even to reconsider this decision, let alone reverse it.  It will be interesting to see what the RC does about unsold tix - there have already been offers for this, which is unusual for that venue.

#15 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 05:34 PM

Great interview on 'The Arts Desk'.

http://www.theartsde...republic-satire

It seems to press all the buttons of 'things I will like'; as it's mentioned therein that it's a sort of sequel to 'Attempts on her Life' that alone should tell people whether they should stay at home or not. Anyway, as per 'Three Kingdoms' (which I loved), it will be good to see another play that gets both extreme positive and negative reactions.

#16 Chameleon

Chameleon

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:30 PM

It's not bad at all. Shades of Monty Python, Chris Morris, Brecht (and a bite of Proust..)

If you don't like vicious, clever (sometimes too clever? sometimes misanthropic?) satire you'll be left cold.

In the second act both play and production run short on ideas two-thirds of the way through. It could easily be ten minutes shorter.

Main problem here, though, is the decision to put this downstairs, and frame it like an 'important' play, with a stately production, and elaborate designs, making the audience look for a deeper meaning, rather than enjoying the glittering surfaces and disturbing reflections that Crimp wants you to see . Despite the somewhat formal three-act structure, this would have benefited immensely from an intimate, low-fi staging (cabaret/ sketch show style), which would allow a closer rapport for the (excellent) performers and audience, give the audience permission to laugh, and allow the barbs to hit home...

Still, lots of fun, plenty of good Christmas biliousness, well worth seeing.

Hum, hum the happy song....

#17 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:49 AM

Press night was last night - a rave from theartsdesk - http://www.theartsde...l-court-theatre

I see you can get a CD of the songs from the Royal Court for £5.00
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#18 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2098 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 03:54 PM

View PostDanielWhit, on 09 December 2012 - 08:03 PM, said:

"the critics'll love it, it's not panto".

You were right! Rave reviews all round as far as I've seen
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#19 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3760 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 04:48 PM

So far, 3* ES, 4* Times and Indie, 5* Arts Desk (plus a rave in The Stage, but it's the same writer). Still waiting for Guardian and Telegraph.

#20 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:46 PM

Billington three stars, parodying himself by saying it's good but doesn't give a political solution. Come on Michael, we all know what you want by now but does every play have to point the audience towards a Guardian-esque nirvana?!?

It's interesting to read just how much it goes out of its way to attack the audience that the RC has been courting in the last few years; make the audience think they're watching more of the same then, bam, harangue them about being a smug middle class cabal worshipping their false gods.

A new piece by Tim Crouch for the main stage next? Please?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users