#21 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3759 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 06:57 PM

2* from Spencer- a good rant.

Now all we need is a 1*, and we have the complete set!

#22 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:06 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 13 December 2012 - 06:57 PM, said:

2* from Spencer- a good rant.

Now all we need is a 1*, and we have the complete set!

If the Mail send Quentin Letts you can guarantee it from him.

#23 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2097 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 07:08 PM

Spencer's review is hilarious. Extra points for referring to indie pop and spelling it wrong
"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#24 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:03 PM

Charles Spencer's review is beyond contempt, like most of his others. He sometimes has flashes of intuitive response which are enlightening and refreshing to read but otherwise it's just 101 ways to state that things aren't to his taste.

#25 Poly

Poly

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 11:20 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 13 December 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

Charles Spencer's review is beyond contempt, like most of his others. He sometimes has flashes of intuitive response which are enlightening and refreshing to read but otherwise it's just 101 ways to state that things aren't to his taste.

Hmm, so he is pretty much like every other critic.

#26 steveatplays

steveatplays

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

I loved this. I concur with what Parsley said. The experimental middle section is even funnier, and more corruscating, than the vitriolic opening. The finale is the most difficult section to process, but the idea that self-obsession is turning us into simpering followers, and/or dictatorial puppetmasters, comes through loud and clear. In my view, this is brilliant and funny, albeit experimental, and critics saying it is inferior to Beckett are being silly because everything is inferior to Beckett. :)

#27 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2097 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 07:09 PM

I loved it too

Traumatise me with a lively kitten

:P

#28 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 08:25 PM

Saw the matinee today and thought it was thrilling. I wasn't sure for the first ten minutes or so but then the dialogue started to warp and twist and turn, it was then that I realised that Crimp had written a parody of a 'Royal Court' play for the first exchanges which he then systematically destroyed.

I particularly liked the middle section and it was during that when Crimp's points were at their most cutting and confrontational, I thought it sounded like a play which aimed directly at its audience on reading the reviews and the way this section skewered the bien pensant middle classes was by turns shocking and hilarious.

This demand for happiness and the idea that it can be gained, as if off the shelf, by therapy/body worship etc. actually hit home as I was walking back through London and struck me as to why Christmas is the perfect time for this, when the push for everyone to be happy is almost suffocating.

How did I read the final scene? Without the stuff of life, the anger, the despair, the family, then happiness is nothing, 100 percent happy is not paradise, it's emptiness.

#29 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2097 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 11:11 PM

Agree he was skewering the cliched "royal court" play - really struck me with the deafness references

I loved the middle section. Got the impression who took each line wasn't pre-planned - looked like whoever got to it first went with it

Might go for a return visit if dates work out

#30 Boob

Boob

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:03 PM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 13 December 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

If you think that's bad, you should read Tim Walker's review of the Donmar's JULIUS CAESAR.  One of the most repugnant pieces of 'criticism' I think I've ever read.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users