54 replies to this topic

#31 dallardice

dallardice

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

I'm not seeing this til the New Year and am intrigued as to whether I will fall into the Love It or Hate It camp!  Interesting email from the RCT today:

I hope this finds you well.

Thank you for booking to see In the Republic of Happiness by Martin Crimp.

As is the case with all our shows, there are strictly no latecomers admitted for this performance. For this play in particular, an artistic decision was made not to allow latecomers into the auditorium during scene changes as it was felt that too much disturbance was caused which affects the intensity of the piece for the audience.

If you have any queries relating to this, please do not hesitate to contact me.

#32 fringefan

fringefan

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 778 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 05:24 PM

They might not allow you in late, but it appears they can't stop you leaving early, even though there is no interval!

#33 xanderl

xanderl

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2079 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

I didn't notice any walkouts when I saw it

Although the woman next to me fell asleep a couple of minutes into proceedings and woke up at the end looking a bit annoyed

"witty ... both made me laugh but also gave me pause" - Mark Shenton, The Stage

#34 smithers

smithers

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts
  • Interests:Theatre, film, music, politics

Posted 19 December 2012 - 04:19 PM

Loads of walkouts when I saw this last Friday. At least 12 that I noticed. Overheard a few of them complaining about the swearing.

Personally, I loved it. One of the most exciting things I've seen in a long time. (The play, not the walking out...)

#35 Cardinal Pirelli

Cardinal Pirelli

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 290 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 12:00 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 13 December 2012 - 06:57 PM, said:

2* from Spencer- a good rant.

Now all we need is a 1*, and we have the complete set!

I thought it might be Quentin Letts who was pushed into doing it but someone else from the right got there first, Tim Walker in the Telegraph as on the website today (I'm presuming it was him as I couldn't find a byline, maybe he thinks he's going to be assassinated or something if he puts his name to it). Having also given one star to The Effect and Julius Caesar I think he might have flipped totally.

I'd think it was cruel sending him to this, if it wasn't so deliciously amusing imagining him watching something that his whole political and aesthetic being would hate - very European, very unconservative, very liberal.

For fun, here's a few Walker quotes, guess which of the above three they refer to -

1 - 'Deadly Boring' and 'An Utter Mess'
2 - 'Uninvolving' and 'Embarrassing and Excruciating'
3 - 'An Abomination' and 'Humourless and Strained'

#36 Lynette

Lynette

Advanced Member

• Global Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 5142 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 05:54 PM

View Postdallardice, on 17 December 2012 - 03:05 PM, said:

I'm not seeing this til the New Year and am intrigued as to whether I will fall into the Love It or Hate It camp!  Interesting email from the RCT today:

I hope this finds you well.

Thank you for booking to see In the Republic of Happiness by Martin Crimp.

As is the case with all our shows, there are strictly no latecomers admitted for this performance. For this play in particular, an artistic decision was made not to allow latecomers into the auditorium during scene changes as it was felt that too much disturbance was caused which affects the intensity of the piece for the audience.

If you have any queries relating to this, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Got similar for Old Times. No latecomers etc etc: a bit  patronising methought. Are they all getting loads of people trundling in late to shows? Maybe. I've only seen the usual two or three per show lately.

#37 Punk Rock

Punk Rock

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:41 AM

View Poststeveatplays, on 15 December 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

I loved this. I concur with what Parsley said. The experimental middle section is even funnier, and more corruscating, than the vitriolic opening. The finale is the most difficult section to process, but the idea that self-obsession is turning us into simpering followers, and/or dictatorial puppetmasters, comes through loud and clear. In my view, this is brilliant and funny, albeit experimental, and critics saying it is inferior to Beckett are being silly because everything is inferior to Beckett. :)

Apart from the Beckett bit, I agree with this.  I'm in the 'love it' camp.  Recommended.

#38 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1667 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:21 PM

Go and see this...I thought it was great! :lol:
Loved it all and am savouring the playscript programme. Family scene ace (I have actually been there)..... middle scene, stunning, everyone has such fun with it and is so good.....end scene bit confusing but made me think. Songs fun and good too. Have an official girl crush on Michelle Terry, please can she sing to me for ever. Plus quite fun talking to some of the more affluent audience before hand and realising they didn't quite know what they had come to.....
I realise I have said the word "fun" more times than is reasonable....HG will be cross :ph34r:

#39 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1667 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

Only one problem with this play...cannot now take anything anyone says seriously. Plus I want to eat an orange....in a healthy way....and enjoy it. Oh dear!

#40 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

Curious... How does one eat an orange in an unhealthy way - or is that a spoiler?
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users