#41 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1667 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

View Postmallardo, on 03 January 2013 - 03:14 PM, said:

Curious... How does one eat an orange unhealthily - or is that a spoiler?

They rather take the mickey out of people doing the whole "detox" type thing to feel they are being healthy, including eating oranges. And fish, I eat fish....I'm sorry, I think I may make no sense for a while. It's all Crimp's fault!

#42 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

After your good comments Latecomer, I'm tempted to catch this. Can only do next Tuesday evening, where balcony seats are all that's available. Anyone sat there before?

#43 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1667 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 03 January 2013 - 03:32 PM, said:

After your good comments Latecomer, I'm tempted to catch this. Can only do next Tuesday evening, where balcony seats are all that's available. Anyone sat there before?

http://www.ayoungert...-court-theatre/

Enjoy!

#44 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:22 PM

thanks Latecomer, but boo, it's now sold out on the day I want. And can't do any other date as am off to the States at the end of next week.

#45 Latecomer

Latecomer

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1667 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

View PostPharaoh, on 03 January 2013 - 07:22 PM, said:

thanks Latecomer, but boo, it's now sold out on the day I want. And can't do any other date as am off to the States at the end of next week.

Good excuse! B)

#46 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Ah, the USA... the Republic of Crappiness with its playbills and school shootings.

#47 Pharaoh's number 2

Pharaoh's number 2

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3752 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:43 PM

View PostLatecomer, on 03 January 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

Good excuse! B)
You say that.... scarcely any theatre in sight where I'm going! Still, there'll be snow :lol:

#48 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

View PostHonoured Guest, on 03 January 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

Ah, the USA... the Republic of Crappiness with its playbills and school shootings.
Was this an attempt at humour?
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

#49 Honoured Guest

Honoured Guest

Dis Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2522 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:13 AM

View PostLatecomer, on 02 January 2013 - 11:21 PM, said:

I realise I have said the word "fun" more times than is reasonable....HG will be cross :ph34r:

No, Elsie, not cross at all - I agree, "fun", and that's even a quote from the first song, from the sisters. I was dreading this, even when I booked, but it's described by Martin Crimp as an "entertainment" and so it is and the absence of Katie Mitchell's directorial rigour allows it to live and breathe.

For my taste, I prefer the Forced Entertainment performance practice of performers appearing not to be acting to the actorly, charactered style deployed here in the middle section, but I admit that this simplified version works very well even so.

This is the most satisfying Downstairs Royal Court play I've seen since Jerusalem. It made me happy! Does that mean it failed?

#50 mallardo

mallardo

Advanced Member

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 893 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

So, we think we're unique - but we're not.  We think we're happy - but we're not.  We don't realize this, of course, because, in the words of one of Martin Crimp's cute songs... "We don't go deep."  The fact that this show about superficiality is itself relentlessly superficial makes for a fine irony.  I'm assuming this was deliberate although it may be giving Crimp too much credit. In any case it was not a good idea.

At 100 minutes it seemed to take forever and there were those around me scrambling to escape long before time.  I was not among them because the delectable Michelle Terry was on stage in a shimmering form-fitting sheath dress and she made my evening.  Turns out she can sing too!
Excuse me if I seem jejune
I promise I'll find my marbles soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users